exercise after blood donation

Options
I have an appointment to donate blood tomorrow at 10am. Is it ok to exercise tomorrow evening. I uasually do zumba. I know I cannot do strenght training. I was thinking maybe a walk on the treadmill at 3.0-3.5 mph. Any thoughts?

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I was told no exercise or strenuous activity for 24 hours when I donated.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    That should be fine. Just don't do it right afterwards. Give your body the afternoon to make more blood. I was told 12 hrs. :)
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    It all really depends on how you feel. I have donated blood before and I can tell you if I do it at 10am and try to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes about 7hrs later I would be able to do it. But it really depends on how you feel afterwards.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    You should be okay to walk. Just try not to go over your limits, and after you give blood, drink a soda or eat something sweet. :)
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water throughout the day before exercise. I have ridden my bike in the afternoon after donating. Just told to drink extra water.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Having donated blood regularly for several years, I wouldn't. I don't ever do anything remotely strenuous after donating blood. They take a whole pint which is a lot. It's very easy to over do it, you get light headed very quickly and you can pass out much easier than you think. Take the day off for your good deed!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not supposed to exercise for 24 hours.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not supposed to exercise for 24 hours.

Yep I just read about this. I'd hold off just to make sure you don't faint. I don't think a nice walk would hurt too much though?
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    when you give blood you experience a short term drop in blood pressure. rehydrating will help your body even out however I donate every other month and I don't exercise for 24 hours. I also had one time that I almost balcked out from walking up hill about 10 minutes after a blood donation. (i had to be in class after the blood mobile was on campus). listen to your body and take care of it. If you have 10 to 12 hours to rehydrate and recover you should be ok but if not I'd call it my break day.
  • SKismet
    SKismet Posts: 137
    Options
    It's been a LONG time since I gave blood, so I really don't remember. I bet, though, you could ask about that at the donation center. Especially since it doesn't seem like people here are being able to agree! lol
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever passed out from giving blood was when I was on a weight loss regimen. You aren't going to hurt your progress by taking just one day off. As one nurse said to me the day that I passed out: "You just lost a pound of blood. Go home, eat, and relax."
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I get light headed after every donation. Maybe just s troll around the neighborhood with Hubby. mayeb I'll cook dinner while he's at the gym for a change.