WATER CONSUMPTION........

shanamalena
shanamalena Posts: 58
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
So i have a issue with water consumption.....And i was thinking if I knew exactly all the benefits of drinking the 8 glasses of water a day that maybe it will make more more motivated to make suuureeee i drink it......lol Plus i figured maybe someone else can benefit off of this also.. :-)

And also i like drinking crystal lite....But maybe theres some great things i can do to my water that i dont know of yet??? lol I heard of people putting limes or lemons in their water. I think i even heard like strawberries.....idk.....But any other ideas would be great to hear about.......?? :-)

Replies

• Oh yeah i also know people drink the grean teas, but personally myself i dont like grean tea. I like the sweat tea from Mcdonalds thou...!! lol
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    LOL at "sweat" tea... does it really taste that bad?? :sick: :laugh:

Don't you mean sweet tea? :wink:
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    There are sooooo many reasons to drink more water, but I think the most convincing one would be that it helps you lose weight! Believe it or not, drinking more water actually reduces water weight (it sounds counter intuitive, but it's true). Water helps flush sodium out of your system, which is what causes your body to retain water. So more water = less water weight.

It also has a number of health benefits. In addition to being better hydrated, water is responsible for flushing all of the toxins and impurities out of our system. it helps cleanse the body of all the crap we put in it.

I try to drink 12 cups or more a day, and there are a lot of people here who drink 16 or 20 cups a day more. It's literally one of the healthiest things you can do.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    There are many benefits to drinking your water . . .
    -makes hair and skin more healthy and supple
    -flushes toxins from your body
    -helps aid proper digestion
    -inproves organ function
    -gives you energy
    -helps you to feel full (I drink a glass before meals)
    -etc, etc, etc, etc
  • LMAO.......Yes....IDK what i was thinking....
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Water consumption is key because the more water you drink, the less water your body retains. It sounds counter-intuitive, but when your body has enough water, and expects it will continue to have all the water it needs, it releases the water it has retained and functions off what you continue to give it every day. Not retaining water is a good thing. I'm sure there's a more technical answer and lots of other good reasons for drinking water, but that's my biggest motivator. Also, not to get too gritty, but I understand that you release ketones (which are essentially burned calories - releasing them is how you lose weight) through your urine and your breath. The more urine you're releasing (this may not be scientific, but it works mentally for me), the more keytones you might release. Plus, if you're drinking cold water, your body has to work more to warm it to your body temp, so there are more calories burned right there!

I never liked tea or coffee, but I heard that green tea (steeped tea, not bottled tea) has a ton of health benefits and can even be an aid to losing belly fat. As a result, I drink 5-6 cups a day and now I've grown to really enjoy the warmth it provides (plus it staves off hunger and cravings!). Granted I only drink the tea while I'm at the office b/c there's a flavia machine we can use for free. I don't steep it myself at home.

What works for me: I keep a 36 oz water bottle at my desk and drink 2-4 of them while I'm at work. You really only need 2 (that's eight 8-oz glasses worth) but more can't hurt. I also try to have as much green tea as I feel like it. It's one of those things you can allow yourself to have in any quantity because it's calorie free. Just watch out to see whether yours is caffeinated or not b/c too much caffeine can be a problem.

Good luck!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    I don't think in 'cups'... I have a 75cl bottle that I refull 3x during the day. Then at the gym I drink extra, so in spin that could be another 1.5l... most days I drink about 2 litres.

I notice an immediate drop in training performance when I'm not hydrated properly.
  • Gosh i couldnt imagine drinking 20 glasses of water!!! lol I have to struggle to drink 8. But those reasons make sense....I thought about filling up 8 glasses of water and pouring them all in one pitcher everday just so i know i have to drink that pitcher before the end of the end of the day. And if i drink more than great. :-)
  • donaldwms
    donaldwms Posts: 4 Member
    One thing about H2O consumption is that if you drink 16+ ounces upon waking in the morning, the H2O tends to stimulate an immediate bowel movement, which removes waste and toxins from the body early in the day, which could enhance weight loss. Moreover, couple sufficient hydration with adaquate fiber and the body improves the purging of waste and indirectly the matabolism.

BTW, crystal light really is tasty!! :-)
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    In addition to it being one of the biggest weight lost aids, it is also great for the skin. Don't know any cool things to with it though other then the things you already named. I use to hate water and also have to force myself to drink enough of it, but thanks to the Crystal Light ,water is all I drink now..well besides wine and coffee..lol
  • My husband drinks the grean tea in the cans so that is the only grean tea i have tried. But im definetly going to try it now. Oh and what you said about drinking cold water that you burn calories to warm it up. I also heard of that about drinking warm or hot fluids that you burn calories....??

You know i have never actually thought that you burned calories from what you eat or drink until i joined this site. :-) lol But it definetly makes sense.
  • This has made me so thirsty
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    For me, it depends on what type of water bottle I'm using. I'm "special" like that...lol. I have a 32 oz bottle that I fill up several times a day, but any other glass/bottle it takes me forever to drink even one.

I love the crystal light packets, I get the ones that aren't so expensive and they taste the same. Or I like to also put fresh pineapple or lime. You can make sweet tea with lots of splenda...lol...I'm not sure how good it is for you, but I don't neccessarily think the mix packets are all that great for you either.
  • KaitKaz
    KaitKaz Posts: 32 Member
    Try putting a couple slices of fresh cucumber in your water. Sound weird, but when it's ice cold it's so refreshing!
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    I know it sounds like a lot of water in the beginning, and you may even get the 'wishy-washy' belly syndrome at first (you know, when you can feel the water swishing in your stomach every time you move lol), but I guarantee you that after a few days of drinking more water, you will start to crave it and actually feel thirsty for it. Your body will know that it can expect that level of water from you and stop retaining unnecessary fluid. Really, the best way is to just tough it out for the first few days. It'll go by faster than you think :)
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    I've always LOVED water and have no trouble guzzling 2-3L per day but during my pregnancy I totally went off it and craved sugary, fizzy drinks so I had to get creative. Instead I would buy a 2L bottle of sparking water (no calories and still fizzy!) and add a small amount of no added sugar cordial. Trust me, it tastes exactly like a sweet fizzy drink but is much better for you! This is a habit that has stayed with me since giving birth except now I guzzle sparkling water and allow myself only 2 or 3 cups with cordial in.

Good luck!
  • typeaimages
    typeaimages Posts: 29 Member
    I have the SAME problem.
    Then I bought a water bottle...and it comes everywhere with me...and it makes drinking the necessary water easy because I just grab it at random....I drink a lot more water this way.

Also, since drinking more water my skin looks SOOOO much better and that was a huge motivator for me.
This discussion has been closed.