Soothing soreness from an Exercise!

Wrkgirl11
Wrkgirl11 Posts: 6
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, so after a Brisk or fast pace exercise no matter if its cardio, treadmill or you are new to a workout you may find this happen to you, become sore! This is has happened to me plenty of times, I feel like holding off my entire exercise for the rest of the week. But then again, I dont want to get back sore again from holding out. Here are a few tips for those of you who go through this:

Tips:

1. make sure that you are wearing the proper workout clothes, shoes and are not going overboard with the workout (esp. cardio) pay attention to the workout, bending your legs helps to give a better workout, and prevent from injury.

2.make sure the workout is something you may enjoy and won't get bored from you want to have fun, and be able to talk about the workout, what was good about it including what you liked.

3. Holding your muscles tight such as holding your stomach-in when doing a cardio helps to prevent from a loose body workout and injury. As well as holding other body parts tight when doing a workout.

4. When on the treadmill don't over work yourself by going at a faster speed then you can handle. (This will cause you to have sore muscles or injury could occur).

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I hope this little bit of help to avoid soreness when exercise helps. I have found these tips to really help me. I hope they are somewhat useful to you too.

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Great tips. Here are some extra fundamental tips for everyone, since it's so easy to neglect the basic stuff:

Stretching prior to, and after, a workout is also essentially beneficial to prevent and/or treat muscle soreness and fatigue. Since doing a "cold" routine (going right into any physical activity when your muscles aren't prepared) may actually be counterproductive to exercise, stretching can also count as, or in conjunction with, a warm-up and a cool-down period for your workout.

As an additional tip, proper breathing during a workout routine will keep oxygen flowing into the red blood cells that propel the proper function for the muscles that are being used.

For strength or resistance training, exhale out when exerting force, and inhale between reps. Many people may hold their breath when exerting a greater amount of force, which can cause lactic acid buildup in the muscles which can lead to muscle fatigue, cramps, and soreness.

For cardio, find a proper breathing rhythm where you can still breathe comfortably as the exertion calls for it. For example, on a brisk walk, you should be able to maintain a conversation, but not so comfortable that you can sing; on a jog or run, speaking may not be applicable, but you shouldn't be gasping for air during the exercise.

Also as Wrkgirl11 touched on, activating the proper muscle groups for the activity helps increase the safety of the rest of your body's function. A solid core (torso area) not only helps with posture, but it allows for proper form, ensuring that your spine is properly aligned which affects everything from upper and lower back pain, along with hip and knee pain. Just don't over-tighten the muscles. You don't want to strain them too much as it cuts off blood flow and can cause cramping and lactic acid build-up.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    bump to save
This discussion has been closed.