Options
    Common' girls... keep things nice, here. :flowerforyou:

Everyone is in different situations... that's life. :wink:

Show the :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I find that it is more expensive.....

That, however, is because I buy a lot of frest fruit and vegetables and they can get quite pricey depending on what you buy. For example....asparagus, peppers, strawberries, cherries.....things of that nature cost quite a bit more than others.

I also buy a lot of fresh fish which can be pricey.

I have noticed that my bill went up from about €250 to €350 per month.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    yes it is more expensive... gone are the days of me living off of ramen noodles at .25 and eating a lunch that is much more healthier that will cost me way more than that :laugh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yes it is more expensive... gone are the days of me living off of ramen noodles at .25 and eating a lunch that is much more healthier that will cost me way more than that :laugh:

lol, can't argue that but think about the money you save in the long run.... on medical bills, ramen noodles can't have much nutrition in them, lol :laugh:
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Q: Is Healthy Food Really More Expensive?
    A: Yes.
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options

lol, can't argue that but think about the money you save in the long run.... on medical bills, ramen noodles can't have much nutrition in them, lol :laugh:

LOL! Ramen Noodles are a big staple food in this house !! Easy dinner for my kids when Mommy has gone over her MFP calories and can only eat a bowl of cereal Hahahaha!!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    For me it is not that much of a difference. I buy all my meat on sale, I like pork loin which I can get for under $2.00 a pound and have no waste at all( comparing to pork chops) I buy chickenbreasts at under $2.00 a pound, my frozen vegies are usually $1.00 a pound, fresh fruit and vegetables I buy only if they are in season and yes I check my pc every week for what is on sale at witch store. I make my own bread and bake goods, haven't started on pasta yet but I might. I go to the store once a week and buy fresh things, once a month I go to Aldi's and buy my bulk foods and staples. I don't buy snack bars, my husband eats potatoe chips that are around a dollar a big bag and so on. I think we eat a great variety of foods and we have visitors often that don't complain either. It takes a lot of work but on the other hand it saves a lot too to shop around and compair prices.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Oh man, Ramen! Back as a Freshie I didn't even cook those...I'd break them up in a Ziploc, pour the seasoning in, shake it and eat it like chips! My face always felt dehydrated afterward. :tongue:
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options

Oh man, Ramen! Back as a Freshie I didn't even cook those...I'd break them up in a Ziploc, pour the seasoning in, shake it and eat it like chips! My face always felt dehydrated afterward. :tongue:

wow..never tried it that way..bet my kids would LOVE that idea! I don't even bother boiling water..just stick the block of Ramen in a big bowl with water and microwave hahaha!!
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Ahh, Ramen...friend to the bachelor, favorite of all those with the desire to drink more than eat.

Good times.

Oh Ramen, how I miss thee.

(But not enough to go back cause you're kinda nasty....)

:bigsmile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Ahh, Ramen...friend to the bachelor, favorite of all those with the desire to drink more than eat.

Haha...my bf keeps saying he wants me to design 'bachelor/ette chow'...a jerky-style food-item that includes all necessary micro and macronutrients so we don't have to cook! :laugh: It'd come in steak and chocolate flavors.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Hahaha! When I was a school teacher my grade 6 students used to do that!!! No kidding that they were thirsty as h--- about an hour later!
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I figure cholestrol medication might run $50 to $100 per month, if I were not eating right. I spend that money instead on good food.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    Bumping this back up. Here's a way to help keep costs down.

My results from shopping* today:

Rolled Oats -
    PACKAGED = 1.14 /lb vs. BULK = 0.69/ lb (that's almost twice as much just for the box!)

Flaxseed -
    PACKAGED = 1.86 / lb vs. BULK = 1.39 / lb

Maple syrup -
    PACKAGED (not organic) - 10.65 / lb vs. bulk (organic) = 7.49 / lb

Organic Peanut butter (no sugar / salt)-
    PACKAGED - 4.39 / lb vs. bulk - 3.89 / lb

Black beans -
    PACKAGED - 1.99 /lb (not organic) vs. bulk (organic) 1.29/lb

Dish soap (the hippy in me can't help but throw this in there)
    PACKAGED (earth friendly) = 2.29 / lb vs. BULK (same brand even!) = 1.99 /lb

* My daughter and I eat oatmeal, flaxseed, touch of maple syrup with fruit and nuts almost every morning.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options

In my poorer college days, 4 friends and I made a bet. We could only eat -

Water
    Beer less than $10 a case
    Raman (any flavor)
    Cheese from Canned Food Outlet

Whoever quit first had to fund a Kegger for about 50 to 75 people.

Holy Hell it was miserable!

~laughing~

Luckily someone got sick before I did after only 5 days!

It was cheep living though!
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Hahaha! When I was a school teacher my grade 6 students used to do that!!! No kidding that they were thirsty as h--- about an hour later!

Towards the third day, I was doing different things with it to make different textures...

Raw ramen isnt so bad! ~laughing~

How about Ramenloff? Thats partially cook, pressed back together, and baked with cheese!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I save money by buying foods that I won't polish off in a day - or a sitting. While I can easity go through a box of Cheerio's in a night, it takes me a week to get through a box of Quaker oatmeal ($2.79). I buy expensive yogurts (Siggi's, $2.69 per cup), but I eat them more slowly than I used to go through candy-sweet Light 'n Fit or Yoplait light (I could have 5 of those a day). And I get a case discount! If you shop at Whole Foods, find out how many containers of your favorite products are in each case - then you can get an extra 5% off at checkout. Other retailers may also offer this incentive, but I haven't asked.

Just because a food has a low price per unit doesn't mean that it has a low cost per day or week ... Consider how many units of a food you eat before you take the price of one unit and call it cheap.

As a single person, I find it more economical NOT to buy in bulk. When I have more food around, I eat more. Or I end up buying more than I need - more than I ever even get to use - spices, condiments and spreads that expire before I can finish them. It's hard to keep track of what you have when you have a lot. Kind of like hair products - I can shop for those in my bathroom! The only things worth buying in bulk for me are yogurt , oatmeal, and dental floss. :laugh:
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For us, it is more expensive at some times than others. We are not big on going on, I kind've go into cardiac arrest everytime we do and we get the bill. Lots of healthy food is more expensive. What has helped is portion control for everyone. We always had leftovers. Now, very rarely do we. I have saved more by cooking less and throwing away less than adjusting the grocery bill. My best investment: the green bag produce bag. Don't laugh, a girlfriend and I tried them about two years ago and I have been using them ever since. I can get 3 weeks of produce at one shot and have nixed the inbetween shopping which is where I cut our bill. Hubby goes for milk/bread etc and I keep my tail out of the grocery store. My deep freezer is also my best friend. When the really good stuff is on sale, I stock up.
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I still love Ramen!!

Anyway...I knew a girl who ate ramen+peanut butter. (ew)

Hair products....aaaaaaaaah my shampoo is $25!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    www.discountbeautycenter.com

See if you can find it there for less.

In my view, it's better to have one $25 bottle than 10 half-empty $5 bottles - i.e. my mother's bathroom.

In every category of groceries, you save money when you buy and finish the stuff you love at a steady rate than when you try something new all the time. Particularly when you can get a case discount. :-)