A breakfast question...!!

Jennkies
Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
Hey! Thanks for reading...

I have been making a valiant effort to eat breakfast everyday.. I hear your body goes into lock down mode and starts storing calories, etc when you dont feed it in the morning. Well, I was wondering how much you are supposed to eat for breakfast.. AND is it the amount of calories that matter or the amount of food going in that determines if your body starts to panic? For example, egg whites.. if all I eat in the morning is say 4 egg whites, thats only 64 calories, but its enough to make me feel 'satisfied'. Does my body still register that its hungry and start storing? Or does just a little bit of food down the hatch save me? And I know, so many questions but I have one more... is it better to eat protein or grain for breakfast?

Many thanks to those who know the answers to some or all my questions and can help me out :)

Replies

• KittMahan
    KittMahan Posts: 106
    I can only say what works for me Jenn...

Start with a glass of water with a tsp of lemon juice to tell my liver that I recognize it's awake and needs something to work with.

An hour later something very light, grain if I think I'm going to need something to stick with me (like a cup of cheerios or cornflakes, no milk) or a nonfat yogurt if not.

Mid morning a snack, such as a small apple, nutrigrain bar, or carrot/celery sticks.

This way I've made it to lunch on only about 200-240 calories, plenty of space for a good lunch, and I haven't overloaded my stomach.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    I'm sure that there is going to be a ton of opinions on this subject, however, I've heard/read that all you need is something to jump start your metabolism. So, if you're eating yogurt, a piece of fruit, toast, etc etc etc, it all works cause it's waking up your body and getting it ready to go!!! Hope that helps!!!!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Definitely have to eat breakfast. I usually have a good carb like fruit, some protien like hard boiled egg (I don't have a problem with cholesteral so I actually eat yolk!) or turkey sausage, and dairy - usually skim milk. I eat around 7:30 a.m., if I work out it doesn't always quite last me but I always have a snack after I work out (good carb & protien). If I don't work out after breakfast, that will hold me til about 11:30, then I have a snack because I don't usually eat lunch until 3pm. I have a couple more snacks after that cause I don't eat dinner til 9p. Its how I learned to control evening snacking. A lot of people won't eat late but I think it comes down to calories in vs. calories out and I've lost a lot of weight so it works for me. You have to listen to your body and do what is going to help keep you from making poor choices/binging.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    It's a little bit of both - calories & amount. Try to add a piece of multi-grain or 100% whole wheat toast. That's usually what I do, except I use egg beaters. Had high cholesterol and didn't want to mess with de-yollking my eggs LOL Or if you like oatmeal, steal cut oats are good. Sticks to your ribs & has good stuff in em. The microwave ones are usually full of yucky sugar which will just make you hungry sooner. :flowerforyou:
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Back in the early nineties I had a copy of this book: http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Life-Harvey-Diamond/dp/0446300152 I followed it dilligently everyday and went from a size 22 to a size 12 in a year.

It suggests that for "breakfast" you should fill up on water raw soluable fruits apples, oranges, grapes, grapefruit, ect...
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    This is the reason I drink Shakeology first thing in the morning, to take out all of the guess work! LOL
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    My breakfast every day is so tasty that sometimes at night, I will be fantasizing about it, so I'll go to sleep earlier just so I can wake up and have it.

1 scoop optimum nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream flavor 100% Whey Gold Standard
    2 tsp Benefiber sugarfree supplement
    1 packet Truvia
    1/2 banana
    1.5 cups of water
    1/2 bag (about 1-1.5 cups) of frozen fruit (I change this up every day, sometimes blueberries, berry medley, mango, pineapple, blackberries, just about any frozen fruit I can find)

Blend until smooth. Comes out to about 300-350 calories depending on what kind of fruit and it's deelish!

I've been doing this for about 2 months now and with the variety of fruit, I never seem to get tired of it.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    In a previous life, I lost a lot of weight on this one tip: whatever it is, it should be small. If the stomach starts out small in the morning then by lunch time you can fill up much quicker, making it harder to overeat and your portion sizes much smaller.
    The size of your stomach can stretch out or shrink very quickly so in a few days of eating a small breakfast you'll start to notice how little you need to eat for lunch. It always amazed me how simple it was.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    First and foremost, you need to eat when you get up...break the fast...breakfast. I believe that your bigger meal should be earlier in the day, which is something I still struggle with. Here's a few things that I go for in the morning. I change it up according to my tastes. I make a conscious effort not to consume ANY high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils....they are in alot of foods and are not naturally occurring. There are alternatives out there if you look for them. Keep in mind my BMR is 2300 calories per day.

- Chobani or some sort of greek strained yogurt. 140 calories
    - Thomas multigrain english muffin, the thin ones - 100 calories
    - 1 serving of smuckers natures orchard preservatives - 50 calories (the stuff is dang good)
    - 1/2 serving of some sort of all natural peanut butter - 90 calories (not the regular stuff that has tons of that nasty stuff I mentioned above)
    - 2 servings of egg beaters - 60 calories
    - 1 serving of healthy cereal, I happen to like special k - 110 calories
    - 1 serving of skim milk - 80 calories

I usually mix that stuff up so that I'm getting about 420-500 calories for breakfast.

If you are losing weight...oatmeal is not your friend. Oatmeal is a weight gainer.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Protein is more important than grain in the morning because it boosts your metabolism over 20% more if you have protein in breakfast instead of just grains.
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    bump
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Woahhh everyone, thanks for the awesome tips. I love you all :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    For Breakfast you should consume both protein and carbohydrates. The carbs are supposed to give you energy to get through your day. The protein to feed your muscles. I've also heard that egg yolks contain a healthy colesterol that is supposed to help lower your bad colesterol. When I have eggs, I usually use one whole egg and 2 or 3 whites. Whole grains will stick with you longer than fruits for energy.
  • Jenngles,

Our body is an interesting animal. It's good to mix it up a little. One morning you can have grain next morning have eggs or meat.
    If you big into body building increase your protein intake.
    For me I'll sometimes have what I call a pre - breakfast item = Grapefruit or large glass of water or coffee to get fluids flowing. then about 30 minutes to hour I'll have grain with yogurt or have eggs.
    Back when I lost alot of serious weight - counting all the calories was not a big issue for me. Watching the carbs to protein ratio was.
    Good luck on your journey....
This discussion has been closed.