Question for the runners out there.....

QueenCici
QueenCici Posts: 18
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on how to "start" running. This might sound like a silly question but I used to play soccer and basketball all through high school and then tore my ACL. I did have reconstructive surgery on it, but I tore it again about 3 years ago and didn't get it "fixed" a second time.

Anyhow, I want to get back into running but wanted to see if someone out there is a runner now with a tore ACL and how I can get back into it. I love the adrenaline rush and its just not the same on the elliptical or arc trainer (plus walking outside doesn't cut it).

Any thoughts/advice would be great!

Thanks
-C

Replies

• brendansmithptatc
    brendansmithptatc Posts: 20 Member
    You can find many programs online. Just search for 5K training or walk/run programs. I found a couple of nice .pdf files with programs for my wife. Did you have you ACL reconstructed? You may want to work with a sports PT prior to running to ensure you have good eccentric quad control and good hip strength (these may lead to further problems).
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    go to www.c25k.com

its a great program, that starts you off slowly until you can run 3 miles or 5K
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    I'm going to chime in with another endorsement of the couch to 5k. It's a fantastic programme.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This is where I found it first but of you have a phone that does apps I strongly encourage you to get the app. It's really helpful.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Being in the Army, torn ACL's are quite common. I have several friends who have had torn ACL's...been operated on..and have been able to continue in their running with the assistance of a knee brace.

I would think that after your recovery period is over, beginning a low impact walk/jog routine until such time you feel you have the confidence and strength to replace the walking with jogging and eventually running. It would not be smart to go from no running...straight to running without a transition stage in there.

If I were you, I would consult with your physician to aire on the side of caution. It's not worth another torn ACL.
  • bizybeemom
    bizybeemom Posts: 84 Member
    I jus started out susper slow. 1/4 mile at a time. Before i knew it, I was up to one mile and then it just went up from there. Good luck! It's great exercise!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I'm a huge believer in ChiRunning by Danny Deyer. Great for focuses that give you trouble as well as support of experts on a forum bulletin board.
  • Thanks so much!!! I just needed a place to start.

I did have my ACL reconstructed in 2005, but I tore the reconstructed ACL in 2008 and won't be getting it re-done. My doc said I have very "flexible" knees and didn't recommend surgery again. He did give me a brace though, so I will prob start with that.

Thanks again :happy:
  • I too recommend the Couch 2 5k. It starts off with mostly walking and then each week builds up. If I can do it, anybody can!
This discussion has been closed.