Calories burned on machines

Options
Are the counts accurate? I never know whether to trust them.

For example, one the EFX (precor), I can easily burn 300 calories. On a Life Fitness elliptical, I worked harder and for double the time to burn the same amount.

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust them. The machines don't take into account height, weight, muscle mass, age, etc. all of which affect one's ability to burn. The counts on this website are somewhat more proportional, I think, but hardly perfect (ex: 'elliptical' option doesn't allow for a range of what level/how fast you were going... so according to the site, I burn the same amount going slowly at level 1 as I do hauling tail over level 20)
  • Sincidius
    Options
    Machines are funky like that. We recently upgraded LifeFitness Eliptical here and the numbers are way different. 30 Mins, level 8 random, 399 w/ 2 min colldown. The new machiens say 312. Same weight and age entered on both. Same average of 7.5MPH. Same average heartrate. I just use what the machine says because overall, its a calculated guess either way (still, a good one, but nothing more than that). It pretty much just helps me figure intake and output in general. Either way, I loose weight and feel better. Thats the ultimate goal. Just my $.02