Trouble staying under 1300 calories!!

Options
Ok, so to lose a lb a week, I'm supposed to be eating somewhere between 1200-1275(?) calories. I can do this on SOME days, but definitely not most. To lose 0.9 lb per week, I should be eating at 1325, which is what I just changed it to. As my diary says, this is also pretty hard for me to stay under. I have a major sweet tooth, so don't begin judging WHAT I'm eating please:smile: I just want some advice from women who have also had this issue and I'm wondering what you did. I feel like a failure every day I go over even if its only 100 over. Should I take my calories down to only .5/lb per week? (BTW, I'm only 5 lbs. away from my goal weight and I know it gets harder to lose the closer you get!). Any advice from those that have been there and done that is truly welcomed! Thanks guys!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    I add exercise so that I have more calories.
  • CarpStylist
    CarpStylist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I always try to keep a snack on hand so I don't binge. Also, plan what you are going to eat the night before and track it in your food diary, that way, you know what to expect. For the sweet tooth thing, keep York Peppermint patties around. It will satisfy you and not dampen your day!

Good luck!
  • sun88shyn
    Options
    I have a really terrible sweet tooth too. Usually a fat free ypolait yogurt in my favorite flavors does the trick. They are usually 110 calories and although the y are only 20 carbs they are really sweet and taste goo. i recommend the white chocolate strawberry. Yummy Make sure you get the fat free ones.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I try to work out 6 days a week and this gives me more cals for sure!! Also, trying to find nutritious filling foods that will curb that sweet tooth AND be worth the calories. i.e. chocolate craving? Lavish Dark Chocolate oatmeal with a few berries curbs the craving, is about the same number of cals as a chocolate bar AND I'm not hungry again in 2 minutes. Ice cream craving? Try a frozen banana sliced with a little chocolate syrup, it's cold the consistancy is similar, it's sweet and the cals are low and not empty.

Just some thoughts...

:drinker:
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would answer yes to your question. I think that the closer to goal you are, the smaller your deficit should be. As I got closer to goal weight, I started to slowly add in calories to get to maintenance level, and I didn't have a huge fight to lose the last pounds. I think for my last few pounds, I was at a 0.3lbs/week deficit.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    One word - Exercise
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    I'm geting some great feedback everyone! Thank you so much!! P.S. I am exercising!! :happy:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for you... keep it up. I have the same issue you do with the calories and the sweet tooth... i found that getting small portions of sweet things help. I'm a huge fan of the Jello Chocolate Mousse puddings. Very sweet and well under 100 calories... I also like fruit or low fat ice cream. 100 calories "now and then" completely add up, so just be honest with your food diary and keep a close eye on what you're craving. There is always a healthier substitute. Try "Eat This, Not That" for some great ideas.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    I try to work out 6 days a week and this gives me more cals for sure!! Also, trying to find nutritious filling foods that will curb that sweet tooth AND be worth the calories. i.e. chocolate craving? Lavish Dark Chocolate oatmeal with a few berries curbs the craving, is about the same number of cals as a chocolate bar AND I'm not hungry again in 2 minutes. Ice cream craving? Try a frozen banana sliced with a little chocolate syrup, it's cold the consistancy is similar, it's sweet and the cals are low and not empty.

Just some thoughts...

:drinker:

Those are some awesome suggestions!! I'm going to be looking for the Lavish Dark Chocolate oatmeal at Kroger next time I'm there. =) Gracias!! And congratulations on your weight loss!!!!