Best exercise/dvd/workout for person with...

Nycky
Nycky Posts: 11
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Bad knees, rotor cuff injury and heel spurs. I know, sad...

That's me. I am 51kilos (112 pounds) overweight and due to my working life have stuffed up my body. I know that losing the weight will help these 'problems' but I can't seem to find any workout dvd that is suitable.

I wear fit walker shoes to help with the heel spurs and I walk as much as possible, both in the pool and on pavement.

I really like the Biggest loser workouts (haven't bought them, just youtubed them) but am worried I won't be able to do a lot of the exercises.

Please help me find something suitable as I am so determined to lose these spare tyres!

Replies

• glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 666 Member
    You can modify any of the exercises in any DVD, just make sure you are moving around more. Also, look up 'chair aerobics' or 'chair exercise' on youtube.com (free) or on amazon for some exercise you can do without using your knees.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Honestly my most favorite exercise that burns the most calories (for me anyway) are my kettlebells. The workout I do is amazing and in my opinion very low impact - squats, knee lifts & other things all in conjunction with swinging these weighted "kettlebell's".

Mine are only 3lb & 5lb bells and they came with a dvd. This is what I have: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=kathy+smith+kettlebell&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9254539975429334637&ei=ITs2TeWvNpCcsQP_oom3AQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAg#

I hope you find something that works for you, I just kept looking until I came across these. I do these and Leslie Sansone walk at home dvd's.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    I can't speak to your specific issues but in a general sense you'll be well served picking something you like and doing the best you can with it. Oftentimes many moves have a less strenuous version that you can do to work your way up. Good luck :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I would say get the BL workouts and do what you can. In a couple of weeks you'll be able to do more and more. Also swimming is a great exercise routine.

Bike riding might be a good alternative as well.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    swimming, rowing both low impact easy on feet and very aerobic
  • bbdzee
    bbdzee Posts: 35
    YOu could try the Walk Away the Pounds DVD's They start with one mile and go to 5 I think. They are low impact and you can modify it to where you are comfortable. Very easy and it's fun, gets you off your butt and gets you moving! I reccommend a variety cuz I get bored easily---check them out from the library first to try them out...then there is no money wasted if you don't like them. Good luck and keep us posted----you can get light weights or stretchy bands too---very light and easy to incorporate!
  • adair2bthin
    adair2bthin Posts: 31 Member
    I'll vote for Walk Away the Pounds- I've done that as well and enjoyed it. It can get a little monotonous but great to use the days you can't walk outside!
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    I have the biggest loser cardio max dvd and i have to say it is very difficult. I struggle getting through it and i am 22 years old and completely healthy so i dont think i would recommend it if you have knee issues. It kills my legs!! you could try pilates!! Pilates is amazing :) low impact a lot of stretching and core training!!! I have the 10 minute solutions slim and sculpt pilates its awesome!
  • I love Leslie Sansome Walk Away The Pounds DVD's. They are low impact and easy to follow. They range in mile walks to 5 mile. They will help you build up your endurance for those Biggest Loser workouts.Good luck!!
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    I love Leslie Sansome Walk Away The Pounds DVD's. They are low impact and easy to follow. They range in mile walks to 5 mile. They will help you build up your endurance for those Biggest Loser workouts.Good luck!!

I have her 5 day slim down and I love it! You can do a classic one mile walk or ones that target particular areas. I am 50 years old and just started doing this and I have foot and knee issues as well. So far, it has worked out well for me. Just start out slow and make sure you do the warm up at the beginning of the DVD.
This discussion has been closed.