30 day Shred weight gain anyone???

Options
When the weather got too cold to run outdoors, I started up the 30 day shred (about October). 2 weeks in I had gained about 4 pounds. I felt stronger, so kept with it for another week & then I had a midterms and all my spare time turned to studying rather than exercise. Within a week or so of quitting the Shred- all my weight gain had dropped plus another 3 pounds!
Two weeks ago I started round two of the Shred. I am day 14 tonight. I skipped level one & started back at level two. Again- feeling stronger but up 3 pounds! I have increased my fluid intake this time, thinking perhaps it was water retention & am VERY careful about sodium intake. Has anyone else had weight gain with the Shred? I'd like to think it's muscle, but I read it's nearly impossible to put on that much muscle weight in such a short period. I guess as long as it comes off eventually, I am happy... It just doesn't seem "normal" to me to be gaining weight while working out, and then lose it once stopping. My birthday is in two weeks & I'd like to be "skinny" for my birthday & not feel my clothes digging into my thighs (which by the way are gigantic because I suddenly have a muscle in there!). I wonder if I need to take the week off before my birthday just to lose this weight I seem to be packing on & stop bulking up. By the way, I use 5 pound weights... Maybe that's too much? I really push myself thru it because I do only have that 20-30 mins per day to workout.

Replies

• mrniceguy84
    mrniceguy84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    sounds odd but not too odd..i myself have lost pounds doing it but i have only done level 1.. and i used to use the weights now i dont...be interesting what responses u get
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i would say that if stopping the Shred helps you lose weight then do that. Maybe its the excessive working out that is putting on weight. It may be impossible to gain muscle weight so fast, but maybe not if you're really pushing yourself like you said. I'm not sure. Skinny isn't good for anyone, but if its just for your birthday maybe its okay.
  • ashm05
    ashm05 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had some weight gain with it too, but I lost a bunch of weight first, so maybe not the same problem. Instead of looking at your weight on the scale, maybe check your measurements and see if they are any different. I'd rather weigh more with muscle than less with the flab. Who knows? Good luck!
  • lucki_2004
    lucki_2004 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can't explain it, but it's the same for me. I gained a few pounds but I lost a pant size, I wish I would have taken measurements before, so idk how many inches I lost but someone told my fiance that I looked like I had lost about 20 lbs since the last time she'd seen me! (even though I lost none and actually gained 3-5 lbs).
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    I am glad I am not the only one! That's a relief & helps motivate me to complete the 30 days. I have not had my clothes get any looser yet (actually they are getting tighter) but maybe just maybe my "muffin top" isn't as flabby lol. I feel stronger & I feel muscles now all over my body. I was just concerned with getting bulky & not slimming down. I am moving onto level 3 tomorrow, although I must say every level is a challenge depending on how hard you push! I don't feel like I am going to throw up anymore on level two like I did the first few days (it had been a few months since a work out & I jumped into that!) but I still feel like I am going to die with each circuit (especially circuit 2- oblique twists & pendulum rows how I loathe you!) lol. I was nervous to start level 3, but I am going to take the challenge & hopefully have the same good results.
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    so glad i stumbled onto this post. I was starting to wonder what i was doing wrong.

I am on day 12 of the 30 DS on level 1 and i too gained weight after my first week (i way in weekly). i gained1.2 kilos!!!!

Do you all eat back you exersise calories & what do you log it under??
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have done the shred for 2 days and have gained 2 lbs, but my BF percentage has gone down. I am wondering if it is fluid retention that I will lose after awhile....
  • lbdee
    lbdee Posts: 31
    Options
    I am on Day 6 and have gained 4lbs. I lost 1/2 inch from hips and waist but that's not much consolation. I can't figure out what's going on!! Any advice would be welcome!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Sounds like muscle gain not fat. I have done this, I have to take a 2 day break in between work out's, or else I find I gain or the scale doesn't move at all. But I was told when this happens, to measure yourself because even if you aren't losing the lbs you are probably losing inches.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    When your muscles are sore/repairing, they retain water. You'll be heavier for a little while while the muscles are rebuilding. Just like TOM, it's water weight and will pass.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I did the Shred in November, every day straight from the 1st thru the 30th. I had weight gain during the first week so avoided the scale until the 3rd week. By then the weight gain was gone and I was down 4 lbs. I have talked to a lot of people who did it and they had similar experiences. Somebody suggested it was the muscles retaining water for repair. So if you took a break then jumped a level it's probably the same thing.
  • CStarrM
    CStarrM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I signed in this morning with the purpose of finding some answers for my unwelcomed weight gain after starting the 30 day shred. I'm on day 10, but only do it every second day. I was looking forward to getting on the scale and then I saw the +3 lbs. So Discouraging. I've since had my husband hide the scale and he's agreed to let me weigh in once a week. I did take my measurements before starting so I'm hoping I'll see some progress there. I'm hoping it's just water weight from my muscles repairing or just new, bigger and better muscles that are the reason for the weight gain. Continued success everyone!
  • MorissaW
    MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I am on level 2, day 3 of the 30DS. During level 1 I was not consuming enough calories. I took 3 days off (due to illness) and the weight just came off, 1 lb a DAY, just from dieting.
    When I started back up I did not lose any weight but I can tell a difference in how strong I am. I started eating a few more calories and the lbs are melting away.
    Stick with it. The number on the scale is not important right now and it will pay off.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight I gained once the muscle soreness resolved. I read on another thread that the micro tears in the muscle cause fluid retention. Makes sense to me. Drink lots of water and watch your sodium intake. Stick with it, it will pay off.
  • JamieOhh
    JamieOhh Posts: 5
    Options
    I experienced the same thing. i am on day 13 (today will be day 3 of level 2) and i took 1 day off last week- but i have already gained 1 pound. Ive stayed well within my calorie limit, not eating ALL of my calories back, maybe some of them... but im never hungry enough to eat more if im supposed to. Im sticking with it because overall i look better naked every day :)
  • tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had weight gain too (from searching the internet I think it's your sore muscles retaining water) but after a few days of level 3 started to lose. And losing inches all along. So definitely stick with it. I think I searched online for every review of the 30 DS and many people said they gained weight initially (while losing inches) and then lost weight in level 3. I think people that lose a lot in the first week may have more to lose and those with less to lose might gain a little initially. But give it time.
  • NickiParris74
    NickiParris74 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 14 of 30 day Shred still on Level 2 at the mo. The first week I lost 3lbs but weighed myself today and I have gained 3lbs!! I can definately tell that my body is more tonned and feeling alot fitter. I did take measurements before I started and in the two weeks that i've been doing it have lost 2inches off my hips, and 2 off my waist! so it does pay off :smile:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain on it but I lost more inches than weight.....which is what I was looking for.....weird.
  • jcfeltes
    jcfeltes Posts: 2
    Options
    So thankful for this post. I started the 30 day shred on Feb. 1st and did it for the whole month. My weight plateaued for the WHOLE month. My husband kept telling me to be patient because I was building muscle. 2 weeks ago I stopped it and started another aerobics dvd and I have started to lose weight again. It was frustrating. Thinking about staying away from the 30 DS.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'd guess it's like you said water retention...your body does hold water (for repair) when you're strength training..3-4 pounds sonds like a lot, but I guess it's possible!