Alternative to Subway

Options
gp79
gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
Hey everyone,

With my job, I find myself traveling 180 days per year which makes it hard to stay on a steady diet as if one were eating out of their refrigerator every day. When traveling I instantly resort to Subway for a couple of reasons.

1. They are everywhere.
2. They are cheap.
3. I am familiar with their menu and happy with their calorie counts

But with everything in life...there are three qualities that cannot be present in any item...."cheap, good and fast"

If it's good and cheap, it cant be fast
If it's cheap and fast, it can't be good
If its good and fast, it cant be cheap

I'm voting for subway being cheap and fast, but not good. Simply look at their sodium content, which comes primarily from their deli meats and certain condiments such as the pickles, jalapeno's, olives or other veggies that are stored in a preservative. I wasn't really aware of their sodium content until MFP came into my life. As I looked at my daily nutrition, wherever I consume subway, my sodium levels are through the roof. My food diary's are public if you're interested.

Tonight, while browsing here I found a link for a subway calorie counter. I entered in the sandwitch I usually order to find that it has a 118% sodium content....outrageous. I tweaked the condiments and got it down to 60% for a 12".

So talk to me about what you have found for alternatives while on the road.

Replies

• katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I try to find a Ruby Tuesday, I either get the salad bar, crab cake dinner w/ broccolli or aspargus, their mashed cauliflower is pretty good, too. Wendy's, I get plain baked potato and side salad. I downloaded an app with restaurant menus/nutrional info, I try to plan my eating around this.. Even if I only have sandwiches to chose from, I try to eat 1/2 the bread or make a wrap out of it using lettuce.