Alternative to Subway

Options
gp79
gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
Hey everyone,

With my job, I find myself traveling 180 days per year which makes it hard to stay on a steady diet as if one were eating out of their refrigerator every day. When traveling I instantly resort to Subway for a couple of reasons.

1. They are everywhere.
2. They are cheap.
3. I am familiar with their menu and happy with their calorie counts

But with everything in life...there are three qualities that cannot be present in any item...."cheap, good and fast"

If it's good and cheap, it cant be fast
If it's cheap and fast, it can't be good
If its good and fast, it cant be cheap

I'm voting for subway being cheap and fast, but not good. Simply look at their sodium content, which comes primarily from their deli meats and certain condiments such as the pickles, jalapeno's, olives or other veggies that are stored in a preservative. I wasn't really aware of their sodium content until MFP came into my life. As I looked at my daily nutrition, wherever I consume subway, my sodium levels are through the roof. My food diary's are public if you're interested.

Tonight, while browsing here I found a link for a subway calorie counter. I entered in the sandwitch I usually order to find that it has a 118% sodium content....outrageous. I tweaked the condiments and got it down to 60% for a 12".

So talk to me about what you have found for alternatives while on the road.

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Wendy's baked potatoes. Just mind your toppings.
  • Lelebug
    Options
    I think Applebee's has quite a few choices on their menu that are under 500 calories. I have had a couple of them and find them to be good.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Mmm, Subway has become my new love as far as fast food goes! Where else are you going to get a satisfying, fast food that takes a simple sandwich and makes a salad from it! I usually eat at home and try to cook healthy, but fish, chicken and salads get old at home, so when eating out....the choice is usally Subway. I know this is a little off topic from what you were asking, but Subway is one of the better choices I think :) Maybe you will find a better alternative though:smile:
  • marrieandfive
    Options
    Keeping a cooler or going to the grocery store and picking up easy fresh things like yogurt, fruits, premade salads...OR, you could just pick something and modify it at a traditional fast food place. I LOVE big macs and McChicken nuggets *blush* so I sometimes go there and get a big mac, take off the second meat patty and the middle bread, or get my nuggets & sweet n sour sauce and instead of fries I get a fruit&yogurt parfait (I eat the nuts and fruit, I don't like their yogurt) or a side salad.

I don't think fast food is good when it comes to sodium and actual nutrition though...
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    if you know you will travel try pre planning. I have a know list of safe meals from places i enjoy eating. I know what i can get at wendy's, applebee's and other favorite places. Also when i am eating somewhere less healthy I tend to eat half a portion. yes it is a waste but if i can enjoy a delicious steak diner but to mind calories and sodium, I will. Try watching your portion size and see if you need as much food as you think. I know the foot long is a value but six inches should be more then enough and then you are much lower in your counts for the day
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I always order the footlong oven roasted chicken breast on wheat hold the mayo, Sometimes I get cheese if I have enough calories left over for the day. When I enter it is it comes out to be like 1440mg of sodium!!! Then your like great now what can I have for dinner that has NO salt.
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Today I did not pack a lunch so I had a subway sandwich instead. My sodium intake is usually in the green and today I was so over the red it wasn't funny... but... I cannot think of another cheap and fast alternative... could you post the link to the calorie counter you found? I really doubt I'll be abandoning subway but would like to work it out so I can lower the sodium.
    I understand your concern though. If I had to eat it very often it would definitely worry me too. Fortunately for me I can usually make a packed lunch and my sodium intake is usually about half the recommended max allowance so I can un-do the damage somewhat.
  • darbuthnot
    Options
    Try ordering the Subway tuna "as a salad" and they should add whatever toppings you want.
  • summerbert
    summerbert Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have seen a healthier menu at Taco Bell. I am interested in trying it and the under 500 menu at applebee's
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I don't track sodium anymore, so it's a lot easier to eat fast food when traveling. I just track calories and fat now, and almost any fast food restaurant has SOMETHING to fit my needs. I actually don't eat fast food much anymore, but here's what I do get:

McDonalds, cheeseburger kids meal with apple slices, or a grilled chicken sandwich.
    Chickfila, 8-count chicken nugget with fruit as my side.
    Wendys, grilled chicken sandwich and a small chili
    Taco Bell, 2 fresco crunchy tacos and a cinnamon twist.

Really there's a lot to choose from. I guess the sodium is a killer for someone who cares, but can you really expect any restaurant to be low on sodium in the first place... No matter if it's fast food or not? Maybe you can pack your own lunches and snacks and keep them in a cooler while on the road. Good luck.
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Each town should have a grocery store, why not build your own.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I going to add my vote for Taco Bell's Fresco menu. I think there are 9 different things to choose from. Don't know about sodium, though.
  • Depplover28
    Options
    Why don't you just get a veggie delight at Subway? They're only about 250 calories, depending on what kind of cheese and bread you get. A veggie on wheat with American cheese is only around 230 :] But if you want something different than Subway, I wouldn't know what to tell you.
  • sey930
    sey930 Posts: 6
    Options
    If I'm out & need to get fast food I normally opt for Chick-fil-A and get a grilled chicken sandwich (comes on wheat bun w/ lettuce, tomato & pickles) and that's only 300 calories.. yes it has a little over 1000mg of sodium, but if you pair it with a side salad or side of fruit, you still have more than enough sodium left to stay under the daily goal.. and it's really yummy and filling..
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    slyirishgirl - thank you for reminding me about the taco bell fresco menu. There are some decent options there, at least for variety if nothing else.

The problem I have with the Subway tuna is all of the mayo that's in the tuna. Don't get me wrong, nothing beats a mayo sandwich with some tuna in the mix, but those calories and fat add up fast with mayo. I haven't verified but I remember seeing something about the tuna sandwich being the worse one on the subway menu.

The cooler idea is good but flying around with a cooler isn't really an option unless I found a sexy cooler. Sorry, I'm picturing an Igloo lunchmate, haha. The grocery store is an excellent idea, I'll try to give that a go next week. I'm in San Antonio this week and the Mariott Riverwalk, has NO refrigerator in the room. They want you to eat in the hotel :)

The 6 incher is enough most of the time but days when I burn upwards to 1000 calories, I need more food.

I'm rather new to the forums, it's nice to see such an active community. This is exactly what I needed for a motivational boost.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I think if you're looking for an alternative to Subway... try the local grocery store, almost all have salads, salad bars, grilled chicken options these days.

Or maybe a deli... I think you could easily find a grilled chicken sandwich that's relatively good as long as you don't go overboard on the toppings. Many (at least here in NJ) offer fresh salad options as well.

In a pinch, I'll do the McDonalds/Wendy's/whatever thing and either do a salad or grilled chicken sandwich and toss all the things I don't want and add a side salad or a yogurt as a side.

Lunch is tough.. even though I'm not on the road, if I forget to bring my food to work with me, I start to panic. It's hard to find something to fit into your own personal food goals. Hard but possible.