700 calories...Really??? HRM question

agibsonky
agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I usually run for exercise, but added in weight training a few months ago and just recently added in aerobics classes - just to change things up a bit, keep from getting bored. So, I went to the 8 am aerobics class (45 minutes) and while my inner thighs were burning, I never broke a sweat, so I stayed for the 9 am class also (1 hour)...it was called "body blast" and was a killer class with legs, arms and ab sculpting, but still no real cardio work. When I logged all of this into MFP, it gave me almost 700 calories for that workout...I really don't believe it, as when I run for an hour and a half, I don't burn that much.

Anyway, I've been thinking of buying a HRM based on recommendations from here. Would getting one give me accurate calorie burns for NON-cardio workouts like I did today, or only for cardio workouts? I guess I just don't really understand how they work well enough to know if it would help with this or not.

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    I have wondered this myself, I have a HRM but it always says my heart rate is way high. And that I burn a lot more cals then mfp says.... i dunno which to believe! I have a polar brand with the chest strap
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    My HRM said I burned 700 calories in 1.5 hours going between my treadmill and floor exercises, jogging and walking, while watching the biggest loser tonight. i believe it! before my HRM purchase, I'd just take half of what MFP said I burned because I'd rather err on the side of caution!

good luck!
  • mkspriggs
    mkspriggs Posts: 26 Member
    If your in dis belief it is best to get a hrm, just to keep your mind set right. I aswell do some workouts like you and comparing my hrm to this site, for me atleast it is very very close. But different body type and so on will lead to different results,good luck!!!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I burn more calories walking with intervals of running than if I just ran the entire time. Your body becomes "efficient" shall we say so changing it up with the jumping, squating, etc etc could very well have burned more calories.

A HRM is the best way to gauge exactly what YOU burn doing any activity. Make sure to get one with a chest strap.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I have wondered this myself, I have a HRM but it always says my heart rate is way high. And that I burn a lot more cals then mfp says.... i dunno which to believe! I have a polar brand with the chest strap

I'd believe your HRM. It does know what you weigh, gender, height etc etc and because of the chest strap it is reading your actual HR as you do your entire workout calculating all the while what you burn. My HRM always gives me a higher calorie burn than the MFP estimates.
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    I wear my polar HRM during my Chalean Extreme workouts (mostly strength training) and it says I usually burn around 230 cals for about 35 minutes. I don't usually sweat during those videos either. I think HRM are a smart investment if you ask me, especially if you can get one that has a chest strap.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member

I'd believe your HRM. It does know what you weigh, gender, height etc etc and because of the chest strap it is reading your actual HR as you do your entire workout calculating all the while what you burn. My HRM always gives me a higher calorie burn than the MFP estimates.

Quite true, just seems so odd how off mfp is. I havent been eating my exercise calories so i havent found it too important but i would like to know in case i do! Thanks so much :]
  • loonpine2
    loonpine2 Posts: 44 Member
    Yes-really believe it that you don't really have to break out in a sweat to burn calories. Your body becomes use to running and does not burn the calories as efficiently. So changing your workout up, your body will burn more calories.
This discussion has been closed.