Shocking

Options
For about 2 weeks now I have been using MFP mobile. Courtesy of my new phone. I have known for some time now that I eat more calories than I need. Last years gym membership was a waste because of it. I strive to remain within my calorie target. My goal is fairly simple and realistic, 1lb a week. For two days I ate as I always have, and logged faithfully. My normal diet is nearly 1000 calories over the MFP recommendations.

That was my eye opener. I don't expect to stay under goal every day. (Tomorrow is my hubby's birthday.) Awareness, however, should make things better.

Replies

• CarolHudson11
    Options
    Oh, those first couple of days will open your eyes like nothing else does. I never considered myself really "big", but I at 5'3" and 135 lbs when I started was putting away 3,000-3,500 calories PER DAY. Holy cow!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    One word of advice, don't aim to be under your goal. Your daily calorie goal is not a maximum, it's what you should be trying to reach. Being under a little is fine, today I just couldn't figure out how to use those last 37 calories. But you don't want to be under by much. It won't necessarily help you lose faster. And remember to eat your exercise calories!
  • resptech97
    Options
    One word of advice, don't aim to be under your goal. Your daily calorie goal is not a maximum, it's what you should be trying to reach. Being under a little is fine, today I just couldn't figure out how to use those last 37 calories. But you don't want to be under by much. It won't necessarily help you lose faster. And remember to eat your exercise calories!
    Not every body is the same. I have been consistant in being under my calories and these numbers dont lie! I think it depends on the amount of weight you have to lose. If you only have 30-40 pounds to lose then sure...eat your exercise calories or if you are maintaining. But weight loss, I have come to learn, is a science. Of course it makes sense too ...calories in, calories out. The more exercise you get the more calories you burn. The fewer calories you eat the more the body will use its own fuel source...FAT. If you have alot to lose then the body will burn the excess for its energy. If you dont have alot to lose then the body thinks its starving and will hold on to those last few pesky pounds. I hope this makes sense...LOL
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    So if I exercise and get more calories I should try and use them up? So what if one day I'm way under like yesterday by 400 calories, but today went way over 199 over the allowed amount....does that hurt me too bad.

Didn't plan to be under or over, just didn't do so good at Applebee's today, and wasn't very hungry yesterday...
  • resptech97
    Options
    So if I exercise and get more calories I should try and use them up? So what if one day I'm way under like yesterday by 400 calories, but today went way over 199 over the allowed amount....does that hurt me too bad.

Didn't plan to be under or over, just didn't do so good at Applebee's today, and wasn't very hungry yesterday...

I would say since you have 28 pounds to lose that sure...you might want to try and eat a few more of your exercise calories...maybe not all but some. Especially if you are losing any weight. My husband and I like going to Applebees cause they have some great low calorie meals. I like the asiago steak and the cajun lime tilapia. Each under 500 calories!
  • btrflyflutter
    btrflyflutter Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Not every body is the same. I have been consistant in being under my calories and these numbers dont lie! I think it depends on the amount of weight you have to lose. If you only have 30-40 pounds to lose then sure...eat your exercise calories or if you are maintaining. But weight loss, I have come to learn, is a science. Of course it makes sense too ...calories in, calories out. The more exercise you get the more calories you burn. The fewer calories you eat the more the body will use its own fuel source...FAT. If you have alot to lose then the body will burn the excess for its energy. If you dont have alot to lose then the body thinks its starving and will hold on to those last few pesky pounds. I hope this makes sense...LOL

You need to lose it in a healthy way in order to keep it off...if you are always way under your set calories(which should be your BMR) then you are putting yourself into starvation mode...yes you will lose weight but you will eventually hit a wall and gain it all back. The fewer calories slows your metabolism stopping you from burning any fat.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

You need to lose it in a healthy way in order to keep it off...if you are always way under your set calories(which should be your BMR) then you are putting yourself into starvation mode...yes you will lose weight but you will eventually hit a wall and gain it all back. The fewer calories slows your metabolism stopping you from burning any fat.

Exactly! And even if you do have more than 30 or 40 pounds to lose you can still go into starvation mode very quickly. You can be obese, eat next to nothing and not burn fat. It doesn't matter how much you have to lose, you still have to eat the correct amount of food. If you don't, your body suffers.
  • abrow7889
    abrow7889 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It really is an eye opener to put in what you have eaten and see how many calories it all adds up to! As you are eating it doesn't seem so bad, but seeing it in front of you in numbers, man it's rough.
  • resptech97
    Options
    Well like I said these numbers dont lie and I have been doing it almost a year! I plan on keeping it this way until l get closer to my goal weight or until I hit that wall.
  • scubagomer
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I stay close to my goal most days. Within 200 calories over or under. But then I am not shooting for the overnight slim down. I didn't get this way over a few months. My goal is to simply pay attention to what I eat and then maybe figure a way to eat moderately over my lifetime. My hubby (and I) loves me as I am. Healthier would just be a bonus.