Hair Loss - Any Advice????

Options
RobinsEgg
RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
Help - myself and several lady friends who are trying to lose large amounts of weight (over 100 lbs) are losing large amounts of hair from our head. We are following MFP food guidlines and are not on crash diets. For the most part we are eating quite healthy compared to our old lifestyles, adding a great deal of vegetables to our daily menus for example. We are getting plenty of protein as well.

Are we supposed to be adding vitamin supplements to our daily needs more than a one-a-day vitamin/mineral? Does dieting cause an imbalance in some vital nutrient?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies

• bizybeemom
    bizybeemom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Make sure to have your doctor check your thyroid. Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss. Good luck!!!
  • sassy1986
    Options
    Hi, there is a vitamin just for hair loss its Biotin, Dr prescribed.You can get it at walmart . Good luck.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Been there done that!!! I lost 90 pounds in 18 months and after awhile I started losing hair too. My doctor said my diet was TOO low on fats and had me add in healthy fats with raw salt free walnuts, avocados, and fish. I also started taking a vitamin supplement called "Hair Skin & Nails". My hair is fine now, whew!!!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Make sure to have your doctor check your thyroid. Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss. Good luck!!!

Good point!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It could just be from hormone fluctuations. Fat secretes estrogen and as you burn fat your hormones get thrown out of balance. But, there are a number of things that could be causing it, so you should go see your doctor to make sure it isn't a symptom of something serious.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can be for many reasons. My daughter lost a lot of hair around the time of her wedding. She was concerned about hair loss and asked her hairdresser. So her hair dresser look closer and said... I can tell when you were stressed cause you've got a lot of new hair coming in.

Biotin is great for skin and nails as well.
  • esteemacalm
    Options
    I take Biotin, also use the Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins. I also use a vitamin called Ultra Hair. It is Ultra Expensive too, at about $20. to $25. a bottle, depending on where I buy it.

I think checking with a doctor is the way to go. Make sure you are not taking any prescription meds that could clash with any new vitamins you choose to take!!
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    Losing a lot of weight quickly can do this since it is a form of stress your body is put under. How many grams of protein are you getting each day?