Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to deal with everyone else...

Well So far the only problem I have come to since I have started my new "me project" is being around other non-dieting people...while they are eating or drinking. I use to enjoy a few beers on Saturday nights with friends and just last weekend we were all together having a great time..except I didn't drink. I felt good knowing I turned down the offers of beers but at the same time I Really wanted to join in with every one else! lol. And when its not alcohol , its snacks and bad for you food. My boyfriend will still snack on candies and cookies and fast food and it drives me crazy...not that he is doing it, but that I can't do it. Well, i COULD, but that would me more time in the gym haha. He says he is testing my will power but he is just driving me nuts.
How does everyone else deal with those situations? I know I should feel proud of myself for knowing i don't give in, but at the same time I really want that feeling of enjoyment that I know all to well.

Replies

• you just gotta keep reminding yourself that while you may really be wanting the junk food/alcohol and it'd taste great - immediately after eating it, along comes the guilt!! hang in there, you can do it!!
  • I give myself one free day a week or every other week; typically Thursdays because that is when my local watering hole has a dollar fifty gin and tonics. I meet a friend there for lunch and we split a BLT, I skip the fries, and have my two or three drinks.

As far as the snacking everyone else does, it was hard at first, but I just ignore it.

I work night shift in a super busy ER and we never really get set dinner times, but there is an Italian restaurant just around the corner that I swear we keep in business. I allow myself whatever I want from there once a month. The other days, I just stay away from everyone when they are eating that stuff.

I hate it....I want that greasy, salty sausage pizza...but I also know I cannot have it and I am getting really close to a size 14 and my goal weight.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Change the way you look at those tempting things. Instead of seeing "yum", when you look at that crap just visualise it as a little lump of body fat made of processed chemicals in a big factory making rich executives richer and anyone who eats it sick and overweight. If you can change the way you see it, you'll quickly stop desiring it. Just remember everything you don't like about those things, and ignore what you do like about them.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Change the way you look at those tempting things. Instead of seeing "yum", when you look at that crap just visualise it as a little lump of body fat made of processed chemicals in a big factory making rich executives richer and anyone who eats it sick and overweight. If you can change the way you see it, you'll quickly stop desiring it. Just remember everything you don't like about those things, and ignore what you do like about them.

That's what I did with fast food, for sure! Now I don't really even want it, after I researched what's in it. I'd rather eat homemade chicken and veggies that has GOOD stuff in it for me (and still tastes yummy) then chicken nuggets and fries with god knows what parts of animals, and chemicals and stuff in them.

As for the OP's problem.. as far as food when I'm with friends.. I just severely limit whatever it is I eat, so I don't have to feel too guilty about it later. I don't think it's very nice of your boyfriend to taunt you with foods and say he's testing your willpower, though. But if you can resist, you can just feel even better about yourself!
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    I don't think that's a very good attitude from your partner TBH, maybe you should ask him to be more supportive. My OH checked with me that I wouldn't think he was being rude if he didn't offer me drinks/snacks when he was having them, I said no , and now he doesn't. he's really proud of what I'm doing and will try to cook healthy stuff when it's his turn. He shouldn't be testing your will power, he should be there to help and encourage when you will power is failing.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    How bad do you want it? If you want to be healthy you have to really WANT IT! To do anything for it you gotta lay it all on the line and make sacrifices. Beer and junk food is temporary, fitness and your health is for life. You gotta be the one to decide which is the one you want more. If someone is offering your junk food, it's your job to make the decision not to eat it if you chose not too. No one is forcing us to partake, sometimes it seems ppl make excuses how others are 'making them' eat the food... how's that possible?:huh:
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207

Yes this! haha IV been trying that so far and also letting the person eating it know how bad it is and see the look on their face of disappointment after lol. I know it sounds bad that my BF is "testing my will power" by eating chocolates and such when i can't have it but he is being supportive. He is all about us going to the grocery store and getting fresh veggies and lean meats to try and cook up recipes we find online. And I think he really sees how serious I am taking it this time and Iv noticed little changes in his eating habits too.