Deadlifts

dave4d
dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
What do you think? Better on leg days, back days, or both?

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    If they are done correctly, leg day because they are a hamstring exercise. If they are done incorrectly so that you feel it in your back, skip it so you don't injure yourself.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    I do then on Leg n Back Days. I know ...no help.
  • dave4d
    If they are done correctly, leg day because they are a hamstring exercise. If they are done incorrectly so that you feel it in your back, skip it so you don't injure yourself.

I did them on leg day. My legs are sore, but so are my lats, I don't think lat soreness is a sign of them being done incorrectly, It would be my lower back instead. Between the deadlifts, and squats, I'm also sore in my abs. I know there are ways to do them to make them work the back more, or the Hamstrings. That is the form I need to work on. Is it Straight leg dead lifts that work the Hamstrings better or conventional?
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Straight Leg Deads or Romanian Deadlifts are great hamstring exercises.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 280 Member
    The main muscle worked is the lower back. However, it's a great compound exercise which involves the Calves, Forearms, Glutes, Hamstrings, Lats, Middle Back, Quadriceps, and Traps. So I don't think you'd go wrong with either leg and/or back.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    ANY day is a good day for deadlifts! My favorite!
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    ANY day is a good day for deadlifts! My favorite!

YES!
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Either back or leg day, unless you are talking straight legged. Those should be done on leg day.

Traditional deadlifts are a full body movement, straight legged are not. Traditional deadlifts if done properly with the appropriate intensity should be done less frequently than other exercises. They are pretty taxing.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Deadlifts are a silent killer, feel like nothing while you do them, but the next day! omg hamstring hell ... I love them for that reason!

Form is SO important for this exersise though!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    When I used to do them I always did them on back day. I always used the sumo style.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    I just started a program and I do them on my leg days.

Karen
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Deadlifts are a silent killer, feel like nothing while you do them, but the next day! omg hamstring hell ... I love them for that reason!

Form is SO important for this exersise though!

Really? I usually look like I'm about to pop an artery in my head when I do them :P

I do full body workouts so I do them with every workout :)
  • dave4d
    I had to do them without a belt. My belt is still too small to fit comfortably. I bought it about 50 lbs ago. I've heard it works your core better without a belt too. I know my abs were sore the next few days. I had to be real careful on form though.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    I do normal dead lifts on tuesdays for back and trap and then stiff leg deals on fridays for legs.
  • that could go either way....if you are doing RDLs (romanian deadlifts) then leg day....if not I like to do them on back day since they don't hit your legs very hard since you have to use a weight lighter than you can squat....
  • dave4d
    that could go either way....if you are doing RDLs (romanian deadlifts) then leg day....if not I like to do them on back day since they don't hit your legs very hard since you have to use a weight lighter than you can squat....

I always Deadlift a lot more than I can squat. I go atg on squats though. If I did any other than conventional deadlifts, I would have to lighten it up though. I haven't got any other forms down yet.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    I always Deadlift a lot more than I can squat. I go atg on squats though. If I did any other than conventional deadlifts, I would have to lighten it up though. I haven't got any other forms down yet.

I suggest getting Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It goes on for about 40 - 50 pages per basic barbell lift, correct form, and common mistakes - Great Great Book. Also, there is an auxiliary DVD you can buy as well which is very helpful too.

I am on my third time of reading it. I'll usually look at key points the night before I do that lift just to refresh my memory.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Back day for me, since it involves more back. I separate it as far as I can from squats/leg day though... and if I'm going heavy in the 2-4 rep range for deadlifts I don't do them the same week I squat. Just counterproductive for me.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    I have a three day split usually on strength stuff.
    Day 1 being Legs: Squats, extensions and curls.
    Day 2 being Upper body pressing: Military Press, Bench etc.
    Day 3 being Pulling movements. Deadlifts, pullups, rows. (i know deadlifts can also be considered a press.)

I like to seperate the big three so i can put in maximal effort...veins popping out etc. lol. Thhose three days can be anything from 5-12 days spread.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Love deadlifts, btw. Favorite exercise of the big three.