Lean Ground Turkey VS Lean Ground Beef

Options
Can anyone tell me what is different as far as nutrition? I know I hear how ground turkey is so much better for you than ground beef, but I'm wondering what are the advantages of using that versus using an extra lean ground beef, such as 93/7 or Laura's Lean Beef? I made dinner last night with ground turkey and I couldn't taste any difference but my family thought it looked weird and the texture was different. And, anyone who has a child with Sensory Integration Dysfunction knows, texture is everything to those children. Just curious what your thoughts were. My sister suggested using someting called Kitchen Bouquet to darken the meat to futher food their minds, but if the lean ground beef has the same nutritional value I may just switch back. Any advice?

Replies

• Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Turkey is better for you and your family then beef. Beef has trans fat and turkey doesn't. But Beef has a lot of iron in it. Try a 50% 50% mix in the next meatloaf or burgers. Calorie wise they are close. The biggest difference is the type of fat.
  • rhinomikeh
    rhinomikeh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Andrea, Lean ground turkey breast is extremely low in fat content and has hardly any saturated fat. The 93% Lean Ground beef has a bit more fat and more saturated fat but not enough to cause any alarm.

The amino acid profile in the beef make it a more complete protein therefore it provides the body with more essential amino acids which you may not get from other proteins.

The main concern is where are these meats coming from. The highest quality meat on the market is Grass fed livestock. Not natural or grain fed but Grass Fed. A lot of our livestock is fed corn and soy products which is one of the reason why our Obesity levels in this country have skyrocketed.
    Hope that helps.

Mike H
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I know if I eat the Extra lean ground turkey, I can have 7 ounces on my diet. If I eat any form of ground beef, I can only have 5 ounces, so I choose the larger amount and only cook Extra Lean Turkey. I don't care what anyone in the family thinks, its what they are getting- LOL! If they don't like it, they can come back to the table for Breakfast tomorrow and eat instead. LOL!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    They will get use to it. I can't tell you when the last time we had ground beef in my home. My kids love the turkey burgers I make out of it.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I still vote that lean grass fed beef and / or bison whoops the proverbial butt of ground turkey in taste and nutritional value any day of the week. It's packed with iron, and the taste is much more rich, IMO.

I usually tend to know the direct source of ground beef (i.e. my family farm) versus ground turkey, which is for the most part, heavily commercial.