Suggestions for a pulled back muscle

REman
REman Posts: 48 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello All,

A few weeks ago, while hiking, I pulled a back muscle on my right side underneath the shoulder. I feel a burning sensation mostly while walking or standing for long periods of time. I've gotten an X-Ray and there is no bone damage.

I've given it time to heal and have taken it easy since then but since the pain isn't gone yet I'm thinking I should try some sort of remedy. I'm open to suggestions. A massage? Icy Hot?

Google didn't help much. hopefully one of my My Fitness Pal comrades will have some advice for me.

Replies

• I have always been a fan of Bengay, http://www.bengay.com/

always worked for me, hope it gets better soon, I know how that feels and its not nice.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Try some homeopathy. Arnica montana is great for muscle soreness and injury, bruises, and other muscle/joint pain. Any health food store will have it and sometimes regular grocery stores do too. You can get it in gel/ointment form or pellet/tablet form. In your case I'd recommend both.

Massage could help, but it could also be extremely painful. Icy Hot doesn't work. At all. Tiger Balm works sometimes, but it's orange and smelly, so don't use it if you like your clothes. A heating pad or those ThermaCare heat wraps are good too. I was in a dance company for several years. I've tried it all and what I've found works the best is homeopathy, rest and gentle stretching in a hot shower.
  • Hey :

I am in a similiar situation. I had a slip and fall this past weekend on some ice in my driveway. I have my lower back hurt and underneath my shoulder same as you. It's been 4 days and I am still in a lot of discomfort and my back is still quite sore.

I have been using 15-20 minute cold therapy several times a day .. hot showers or baths at night and started massage therapy yesterday to accelerate the healing process. Therapist also showed me some stretching ( lightly ) to help it along.

Basically you put a pillow on your stomach while standing and round your back as you bend over about 45 degrees while exhaling.
    Do this several times slowly several times per day.

and rest of course ... hope this helps.. Rob
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Try some light yoga? Along with Motrin..
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    If they're sure it's entirely muscle pain at this point, light stretching is good. You should also try as often as possible to lay on your back on the floor (NOT a soft surface), with knees up. Don't sit in a lazy boy or on a couch.

Since it's been a few weeks, you don't want to use ice exclusively. That impedes fluid getting to the area to help flush out damaged cells and at this point will increase swelling. Either use moist heat (wet towel in the microwave) 20 minutes on, 1 hour off; or alternate heat and ice, 20 min heat, 10 min ice. That increases blood flow to the area.

I would recommend finding a good chiropractor in your area. If you can't, or are someone who doesn't "believe in them" (like the Easter Bunny), then at least a good massage therapist who should be able to reduce the muscle spasm, at least.

*I'm trained in PT, but not a licensed PT

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.