My Aching Quads -- Rest or Workout?

bjshields
bjshields Posts: 677 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Well, I've gone and done it again. My neighbor & I are doing "Mommy Boot Camp," my own home-grown version of boot camp. This Monday, we did interval sprints, basketball sprints (run down the court, take a shot, run back down, take a shot), squats with knee-ups, jumping jacks, etc., for 40 minutes; the other 20 were spent walking to and home from the school.

Since yesterday, my quads have hurt so bad, it hurts to go up and especially down stairs. So: do I rest them one more day (I did not work out yesterday), or do I do a workout today? Just upper body? Or does Pilates or Marie Winsor help? Inquiring minds want to know.

Replies

• backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Personally I don't usually train a muscle that has serious DOMS. It just depends. If I have squatted heavy and my quads are killing, sometimes it helps to spin them out a bit, but I probably wouldn't run on them or do another high impact activity like step or whatever. It depends on whether we're talking about "a bit of an ache" or proper serious DOMS - in which case I'd probably stick to upper body.
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    I like to alternate days between different types of workouts. Swim then jog, or lift weights, then jog. If you are able to do weights, you can concentrate on upper body. A jump rope shouldn't touch your quads very much.

If you've worked out several days already, a full day off isn't a horrible thing, if you can still stay in the calorie range.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    I'm almost always sore after I workout, so I alternate workouts. If it's my legs, then I do an upper body workout the next day that goes easy on my poor legs. I get the feeling tomorrow is going to be my butt...joy. :)
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Thanks. I think I'm going to walk easy on the treadmill & then do upper body if I can get it in today. What the heck is "DOMS"?!:smile:
  • DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness :)
  • After not officially "working out" for years, I started EA Sports Active on 1/4. I worked out for 4 days straight, and my quads were absolutely killing me after the first day. I HAD to hold the handrail coming down the stairs because my legs were like jelly. I took 2 rest days over the weekend and started working out again on the 10th, they were absolutely fine and have not been sore since. I definitely took some pain relievers for a couple of days. I was a hurtin' pup!!
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    When I started EASA I did the first 2 days, and I had to come down stairs backwards! After the rest day it never seemed to bother me tho I was still quite stif when I did the workout on day 4. It seemed to work it off.
This discussion has been closed.