new scale

Options
I was getting so frustrated about how inconsistent my bathroom scale is, (I'd gain a pound while I was in the shower, and another after I shaved) that I decided to get a new, fancier scale. Of course I weigh this morning and it registers 6 lbs heavier than my old scale! Now I don't know what to believe. If I go with the new weight, it will mess up my MFP progress and that means I have another 6 lbs to lose to get to my goal wieght. Guess I should have stuck with my crappy scale! I'll give it a few more days and see if things even out--my official weigh in isn't until Friday but it was a shot to the stomach this morning. :(

Replies

• girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Oh that is a bummer! One of the reasons I haven't updated my scale. It works fine, but I think a body fat one would be cool. I'd suggest that if your weigh-in Friday still isn't back on track, wait another week before updating MFP. Also, while I wouldn't say you should get in a habit of this, maybe weigh yourself every day for a bit just so you can see how consistent the new scale is.
  • ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mine has a body fat calculator. Don't remember where I bought it (best guess: bed bath & beyond), and it says "Thinner" on the bottom edge. Don't know if that's the brand name or supposed to be a visual motivator. :laugh:

In addition to the body fat calculator, it also has an H2O percentage calculator. For both of these, it will tell you if it is "low". "normal", or "high". I wonder how the body fat calculator works. Anyone know? It has always said "high" which I've expected, and the H2O always says "low" and I've seen that register at close to 50%. What percentage of H2O would be normal?
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree about waiting a week or so to let the new scale catch up. I was tempted to get the body fat calculator scale but I wonder how accurate that can be by stepping on it--I decided against it. Plus, if I want to know that, I can always use the Wii fit, which I havent used so far for exercise but I know it has a BMI function.

P.S. As you can see, I still can't figure out how to get the ticket right. It says to copy and paste and this is what I get: