Pitta bread Vs sliced bread

Options
I thought it was healthier having pitta bread rather than sliced white bread but i have just seen how many calories are in one pitta!!

SHOCKED!!

What other alternatives are there?

Replies

• mixmastermolly
    Options
    I LOVE Arnold's sandwich thins. They're so good and only 100 calories each.

http://www.arnoldbread.com/thins/

For breakfast I usually do a light english muffin or bagel thins.

http://www.thomasenglishmuffins.com/Our-Products/Bagels/Bagel-Thins/Thomas-100-Whole-Wheat-Bagel-Thins-Bagels-(8-pack)/Default.aspx
  • DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like Sara Lee's low-cal bread. They're smaller slices, low calories, and soft bread!
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    white bread is not nutritious for you, dont eat it. but pita bread is also very calorie filled (wheat flour is FULL of calories). there are sandwich rounds (sometimes called thin buns) that are 100 calories per round. there is also low calorie bread out now (i think its about 35 calories per slice, but i cant seem to find any in the grocery stores in my area). and if its not a sweet filling you're using, jewish rye bread is super light. all these things are made by normal bread brands like orowheat.
  • emma3582
    Options
    Got to do a bit of a shop tonight so might try and find the low cal breads out there!

Thank you.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Depending on the brand you're buying, Pita bread can be an excellent choice. Every brand is different but I always always pick Whole Wheat over White in anything. Flat outs are another good option, bagel thins, sandwich thins..any of these are awesome change of pace for bread. But ya gotta check the labels on everything and compare, compare compare:drinker: :wink:

The Pita bread I buy is 140 cals for the full pita and the fiber is great as well as the other nutrition info... but when I looked on the 'Kangaroo' brand WOW, not at all comparable and far to expensive. I'm paying $1.49 for a pkg of 8 when I buy my Pita Pockets and they are the full size ones. I can only find them in particular stores but they are ones I go to regularly so it's not a problem.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    Joseph's flax oat bran and whole wheat pita bread...
    calories...60
    fat
    2g
    sat fat
    o
    trans fat--0
    no cholesterol
    sodium....300mg
    8g carbs
    4g fiber
    000000000 sugar
    6g protein
    they are good! I used them for veggie sandwiches and even i used them for pizza crust! the other day i did bbq chicken and grilled onion pizza-i had 2 of them and it was still under calories!