Bought a new bike!!

Options
ohthatbambi
ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
I should have done this months ago!!! I started riding back in the fall. I borrowed a friend's mountain bike to see if it was something that I would stick with. Well I love it. Out of every exercise I have done in my life cycling is by far my favorite. I love the wind in my hair and the freedom I feel when I am out on the open road. So when I say it was a mountain bike, I might also add that it was a Huffy from Wal Mart. Well I ride at least 10 miles a day, five days a week--sometimes more. So I went to a real bike shop that only sells the really fancy stuff and the guy asked what kind of riding I did. I told him and then I told him what I was doing it on. He LAUGHED at me. So I ended up leaving with a Trek 7.2 FX. It is a road bike with mountain bike handle bars...basically. OMG, what a huge difference this bike has made! It is like going from a beat up old truck to a freaking caddy! I LOVE it! It doesn't even feel like exercise.

My husband has been rding for about two months now and he has been riding a Wal Mart mtn bike as well. I decided that he is getting a new bike for fathers day. Exactly what I have, only a bigger model.

You get what you pay for. If you are in the market for a bike and are serious about riding...go talk to someone in a real bike shop...not at a big chain sporting good store. I will never buy another bike from a big chain store again. I may pay a little more money but to have someone that knows what they are doing fit you for your bike makes a huge difference in the effectiveness of your riding. My son will be 10 this summer and he wants a new bike. I am taking him in and let them measure and fit him so that he gets a bike that he will enjoy.

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I should have done this months ago!!! I started riding back in the fall. I borrowed a friend's mountain bike to see if it was something that I would stick with. Well I love it. Out of every exercise I have done in my life cycling is by far my favorite. I love the wind in my hair and the freedom I feel when I am out on the open road. So when I say it was a mountain bike, I might also add that it was a Huffy from Wal Mart. Well I ride at least 10 miles a day, five days a week--sometimes more. So I went to a real bike shop that only sells the really fancy stuff and the guy asked what kind of riding I did. I told him and then I told him what I was doing it on. He LAUGHED at me. So I ended up leaving with a Trek 7.2 FX. It is a road bike with mountain bike handle bars...basically. OMG, what a huge difference this bike has made! It is like going from a beat up old truck to a freaking caddy! I LOVE it! It doesn't even feel like exercise.

My husband has been rding for about two months now and he has been riding a Wal Mart mtn bike as well. I decided that he is getting a new bike for fathers day. Exactly what I have, only a bigger model.

You get what you pay for. If you are in the market for a bike and are serious about riding...go talk to someone in a real bike shop...not at a big chain sporting good store. I will never buy another bike from a big chain store again. I may pay a little more money but to have someone that knows what they are doing fit you for your bike makes a huge difference in the effectiveness of your riding. My son will be 10 this summer and he wants a new bike. I am taking him in and let them measure and fit him so that he gets a bike that he will enjoy.
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good for you! My husband and I bit the bullet and bought nice bikes last summer and are truly having a blast. We have made a lot of great friends in the cycling community and started our own "Saturday Coffee Ride". Enjoy your new adventures it really is worth the investment!
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    Wow... I want to ride.... Been thinking about the next fitness step, so to say. Just can't afford a bike right now.. thanks for the tip when I do get one I will remember to go to the bike shop...
    Enjoy your new bike... I wouldn't be able to get my husband on a bike unless it was a HD...:laugh: Thanks for the tip.. Melissa