What do you eat with your hummus?

Options
I'm doing the slow carb diet and can't dip pita bread in my hummus anymore. I actually enjoy eating hummus directly w/ a spoon, but was wondering what else tastes good w/ hummus! I tried carrots, no go... i'm doing celery today, not so bad...

Replies

• anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've tried mixing it w/ tuna salad, rather than mayo.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    You can spoon hummus into a boiled egg white-like a deviled egg. Veggies are great for dipping! Peppers, carrots, celery, pea pods,cucumbers, broccoli--you name it!
  • slloyd78
    Options
    sugar snap peas - very addictive!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I use it as a veggie dip, put it on sandwiches as a spread, dip Naan bread in it
  • Jessicah1987
    Jessicah1987 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    baby carrots and roasted red pepper hummus...yum! :)
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    Sounds a little strange, but I like hummus on tomatoes! Sometimes I add a little lettuce for crunch. I'm like you, I can eat it from a spoon too! Yumm
  • lauraleemcc
    Options
    I love raw red and yellow peppers with hummus!
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    I like hummus mixed with a little fat free crumbled feta then topping cucumbers with it, yummo!

I also do TLC Kashi Fire Roasted Vegetable Crackers, delicious as wel!
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I like the pretzle thins, but I don't know how those do on carbs. I agree carots don't work so well. I was thinking about trying cucumbers.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your limitations are with "slow carb" but for regular pita substitutes I sometimes get Joseph's low carb pita (have to order it online), Toufayan Bakeries low carb pita bread, or any kind of Lavash.

Joseph's has 4g of net carbs per pita, Toufayan has 7, and most lavash has about the same per serving. Those have about the same or less amount of carbs as the hummus I buy..
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I spread hummus on turkey cold cuts, stick some clover sprouts to the hummus and roll. To change the flavor of the rollup, I just change the hummus flavor or get mesquite turkey cold cuts (or any other variety).

Charmagne
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I use it to replace Mayo on wraps... I eat it with carrots and cucumbers too
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    rice cakes!! :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA... I saw this thread title and thought it said "What do you eat with your humans?" I was like, what kind of weird site have I gotten into?! :laugh:

With HUMMUS, I like bagel chips, but that's not good for low carb. I've always thought it would be a good veggie dip though, even though I haven't tried it that way.
  • jen_bersabal
    Options
    I'm doing the slow carb diet and can't dip pita bread in my hummus anymore. I actually enjoy eating hummus directly w/ a spoon, but was wondering what else tastes good w/ hummus! I tried carrots, no go... i'm doing celery today, not so bad...

On another note, I like to make my hummus with black soy beans instead of the garbanzo beans. You can lower the carbs significantly by doing this. And it's tasty too! As for what I like to do with hummus...hollowing out a tomato and filling with hummus is delicious!
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    hummus, i dont know what goes with hummus, idk what hummus is : (
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    Its funny i just saw this post, i just chowed down on crackers and hummus like it was a big peice of pizza LOL. It was delicious.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm Hummmmmmmmmmus :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well the first time I tried hummus I dipped a Cheeto in it but I'm thinking that's not going to help you! lol We usually dip a variety of vegetables in it (my fave is snap peas). I have also used it in place of mayonnaise with pretty good success. One easy lunch we do is I simmer chicken breasts in low sodium chicken broth until cooked through, drain the broth off. Then I shred the chicken and stir hummus into it. We use it on bread or tortillas as a sandwich filling and it's pretty good. You can roll it up in lettuce too if you don't don't want any carbs added to it.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    celery and carrots :happy: