Zero Calories = 15 carbs???

Options
So I'm logging this Sobe Lifewater on my diary - and it says, it has zero calories. But 15 carbs? How is that possible?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's not. The information was entered incorrectly. Either it has 60 calories (15g carbs * 4 calories/gram) or it has 0 calories and 0 carbs.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    One other thought - if something is a small enough calories/serving, it can claim to be calorie free, but not be. So something that's 1g of carbs per serving may be printed as zero calorie, even when it's not (it's 4 calories)... I'd look at your bottle's nutrition label if you can to see what it says. The fact is, if it has carbs in it, it CAN'T be zero calorie. Either the database is wrong or the manufacturer was able to round to zero or something like that.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Its possible that they aren’t using normal carbohydrates but rather sugar alcohols like ERYTHRITOL, which has .3 calories per gram. You may wanna call sobe and verify and see what their using.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Its possible that they aren’t using normal carbohydrates but rather sugar alcohols like ERYTHRITOL, which has .3 calories per gram. You may wanna call sobe and verify and see what their using.

Yeah - I just did a quick google search,and this is a very common question. It looks like the company told someone the following:

"There are only 1.8 calories per 8 oz of the drink that are actually digestible"

So, since there are under 4 calories a serving, they can legally put zero calories on their label.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    YUP I continued to read on the blog I was picking it up from and found that too. :smile:

Yeah - I just did a quick google search,and this is a very common question. It looks like the company told someone the following:

"There are only 1.8 calories per 8 oz of the drink that are actually digestible"

So, since there are under 4 calories a serving, they can legally put zero calories on their label.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Crap I have been drinking the water and did not even realize that
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    There needs to be stricter regulations on what can and can not be put on labels. They are very misleading. I always hate how under the total carbs there's fiber and sugar...add those up and they do NOT add up to the total...but they are not required by law to say what the other things are and how much that add up to the total with fiber and sugar. So annoying. I wonder what it would take for something like that to change?