What exercise is good to slim calves??

Options
I have huge "soccer guy" calves and being 5'3" and over weight it makes my legs look even bigger than what they acttually are.
I am starting Zumba tonight and as soon as I get back to my real house in FL - I will be back to the Wii Fit, Zumba and my elliptical.

That is my biggest flaw area besides the lovely belly that you get after having kids! My youngest is ten months old and something has to give now!

I thank you all for your support! :smile:

Replies

• kbubp
    kbubp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, unfortunately, you can't spot reduce fat. E.g., you can't do a bunch of situps and expect to have a toned stomach. It's a percentage kinda thing.

So, you will just have to lose weight. When exercising your calves, do more reps with less weight, as opposed to trying to max out. Also, stretching will help.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was looking forward to slimmer calves too as I started this journey but now instead of being fat, they're just muscle. My daughter calls them my "walker" calves because I walked as my exercise to lose weight:) I'm ok with them being big now because they're not flabby fat! My husband says he wouldn't want my legs any smaller than they are now anyway. Now, I do Zumba 4x a week usually and the elliptical and sometimes still walk though not as much as my dog would like:)

Good luck on your weight loss!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I have big legs overall - thighs and calves - always even when I ran track in high school. I had to embrace it, but noticed that running has reduced my legs (overall) in inches. I will press on forward to trimming these ninja turtle legs (I have been called that). I also have in the past put double pants on - always pants to make my legs actually sweat. Oh and stay away from stair climbers they make everything big.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    What????? Strong calves rock!!

Bottom line? If the extra size is fat, then the only way to slim them down is to slim down all over, by reducing your body fat percentage (diet and exercise).

If the extra size is muscle, give yourself a pat on the back. Even though you don't seem to like them that way, many many people wish they had such calves! So ... try to enjoy! :)
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    What????? Strong calves rock!!

Bottom line? If the extra size is fat, then the only way to slim them down is to slim down all over, by reducing your body fat percentage (diet and exercise).

If the extra size is muscle, give yourself a pat on the back. Even though you don't seem to like them that way, many many people wish they had such calves! So ... try to enjoy! :)

I have to agree with Robin here! I used to HATE my legs...always thought I had thunder thighs and I could never wear the cute high boots because they would never zip over the calf... Once I lost weight, I was able to buy boots but the shape of my legs stayed the same, I just lost the fat and my calves and thighs became solid muscle. My athletic legs are now my favorite feature...
  • Izzygirl1985
    Options
    elliptical trainer
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have very muscular calves...I wish they were longer and cuter. I have never been able to wear long boots even when I was 110 pounds. In another life I want to come back as a 6' tall amazon!!! LOL right now I have to make du with my 4'11'' funsize shape
  • nesa98
    nesa98 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I guess I just have to deal with them :)
    I appreciate it :happy:
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Nesa - I also have huge calves, BUT I have SKINNY ankles, so I look like Popeye. ;) Its all good. It has to be!
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat too. I would love to wear the tall boots but never get them zipped all the way. :( That is one thing I added in my measurements so I can actually see myself if running and zumba are helping. Good luck!!!!