1 week old and lots of questions

Options
Hey everyone!!
Really loving this site. Wish I had found it sooner. I do have a few questions for anyone willing to help. I know they may sound a bit silly..
1. Did anyone feel at the start of their diet that 1200 calories (or what they were allocated) a day was over what they had been eating before the diet?
2. I haven't lost as much as i had hoped in the last 5 days :(. Did anyone find the going quite slow to start with?
3. Is it ok to still continue having chocolate, crisps etc if they are within the calory count?

Replies

• hope39
    hope39 Posts: 19
    Options
    Going on my second week here. I do feel like I eat way more then before MFP. But my choices are very healthy. And it must be working because I have lost 7 pounds already. And I have snuck in a treat or two. But always stayed within my calorie limit.
  • chantalantoinet
    Options
    Hiya!
    I am finding exactly the same thing with the calorie allowance, ate a 'normal' days food with not very healthy things in 1 day last week and i found i was still under my calorie allowance! Usually once i've filled everything in for the day it tells me i'm under eating when i'm having 3 proper meals and snacks! i lost 2.5lbs last week but i think this is a result of upping my exercise rather than my change of diet! This is only my first week on this too but i have noticed the food i add sometimes has very odd calories/fat etc so don't be lulled in to too much of a sense of security as you could be eating more calories/fat than you think! (Generally when i add a food to the meal planner i go for the 1 with the most member confirmations as it's probably the most legitimate!!!)
    good luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    #3) Yes, just make sure to measure them accurately and account for them.

#1 and #2 are proly tied together. There's 2 alternatives:

A) You are eating healthier foods which are less calorie dense, so you can eat more food without getting as many calories...hence you feel like you are eating a TON. If you've "only" lost a lb this week, that isn't sluggish. Thats healthy.

B) If you have been trying to diet without watching your calories (which could be just you trying to eat less) you could have been eating not enough to fuel your body, and so thinking its starving, your body will hoarde fat and nutrients to keep you alive. If this is the case, your body will need a couple of weeks to adjust to the new calories, and you might put on a few lbs before you start permenant healthy weightloss.

Don't get discouraged. Stick with it. Good luck!
  • trish2011
    trish2011 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm eating more than I ever have on a "diet." If you eat too little you set your body into starvation mode and it holds onto everything. Make sure you're eating enough and working out. If you only have a little bit of weight to lose, it's harder, and slower. I've got plenty to lose, so it always falls off in the beginning. Good luck!
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Getting started is tough. But give it some more time. I am personally a believer in all things in moderation-- that said I don't use all my cals on junk food, I try to find healthy subs for some of the junk I used to eat. If you haven't been eating at least 1200 cals per day on a regular basis you may have put your body into "starvation" mode, where it will save more of the cals you eat because it thinks it needs it. By eating 1200 you can help your body. Also you may have slowed down your metabolism and need to kick start it. There are foods that naturally help with metabolism and there are supplements found at many health stores (ie. GNC) that will help, up to you what method you choose. I have been on here for a lil while and only lost 9 lbs, plus I workout 4-6 days a week. Some of us lose slower than others.. Don't get discouraged yet. You can do this and many of us here are willing to help. Good luck :)
  • mercymercyme
    mercymercyme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well done!! And thanks for your reply
  • mercymercyme
    Options
    Valid point. I'll see how I get on. Thank you.
  • mercymercyme
    Options
    Thanks everyone for being so encouraging!!
  • valeriehuynh
    Options
    This is my 1st day starting my diet on this site. I've been reading a lot about people's before & after results. This is amazing & I'm looking forward to lose 50lbs. I'm excited to start a new diet with many motivations from everyone.
  • trish2011
    trish2011 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good luck everyone!!!
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just joined on Monday and have 40 pounds to lose; a daunting task, but necessary. Just had my cholesterol checked, and it was on the high side which is not only sobering, but motivating. I'm really glad to have found this site and am finding I go for this first as opposed to Facebook :) Glad to have found support and people who are in the same boat :)