Deli Meat

Options
Hey everyone...is there any difference between the sliced turkey breast you at the deli counter in your grocery versus a pack of sliced turkey lunchmeat? I eat a sandwich just about everyday for lunch. It's quick and easy and for me, it's filling. Just was wondering. I'm noticing that the turkey I'm buying (Great Value, Fat Free Turkey Breast) is where I'm getting a lot of my sodium. I rarely go over in that category, but I would still like to cut it back as much as I can. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Replies

• LaurenRose2011
    Options
    There is a BIG difference:

Deli meats taste better, are fresher and are much healthier than processed/pre-packaged meats. They also tend to be more expensive for these 3 reasons. The packaged stuff is much higher in sodium, and also in fat and processed sugars. You also run the risk of ingesting sodium nitrite & nitrate which are horrible to your body. The nitrites/nitrates are added to packaged meats to make them look fresher than they are.

I hope this helps ya. ;)
  • LauraKB
    LauraKB Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I buy deli meat and always use boars head. There are more natural meats than others. I like that they're lean and super tasty. I eat a sandwich at lunch nearly every day too and it can get boring, so I change up the meat I use each week.