Soup Diet

Options
I'm thinking of doing a soup diet for 1 week. I've seen the cabbage soup diet but not sure I'll like it! Is any soup ok? and do I eat soup only for 1 week or add other things in too? I'm only doing it for 1 week and to lose a few lbs quickly, I know it's not a long term fix before anyone criticises.
I'm 5ft 5 and around 138lbs if thats relevant!

thanks for the advice

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    What kinds of soups are you planning on eating? Many soups are loaded with sodium, and if you only do it for a week you may not see much of a difference due to water retention.
  • littlered301
    littlered301 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did the cabbage soup diet and was quite tired. I have been on 1200 calories per day, keeping pretty good track and being careful with what I age. I did the diet with a friend who ended up with painful stomach cramps and really not feeling well. I will never do it again. I would not recommend it. Good luck!
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    If you're looking to lose weight quickly and don't want to be restricted to just soups (I know, it's winter still, but really?) try looking into the Paleo/Primal diet. In a nut-shell it's low-carb, but you don't eat any kind of wheat, grain, or starchy vegetables. Everything else - meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, even bacon! - is okay. Plus you can do it long term and it keeps working. You can find more info here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Sorry to thread hijack. I've been losing a lot of weight going primal and want to spread the word! It beats just eating soup, anyway. :wink:
  • EvetteE
    EvetteE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you don't care what kind of weight you'll lose, go for it. You'll most likely lose valuable lean muscle mass (not only from your limbs, but more importantly from your organs) because of the lack of protein. I myself wouldn't go that route; it's just not healthy.
  • nicjane113
    Options
    thanks guys, I've come to a bit of a stand still so just wanted a quick fix to get some motivation back!
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    That kind of diet works because of what's in the soup. You can't eat chicken noodle for a week and lose weight. Cabbage soup is super filling because of volume but it has basically no calories (and therefore, no real nutritional value). That's why you lose weight on it.