Too many calories, not enough fat?

Options
SO...my weight loss is happening a little too slowly for my liking. I know there are a few things I need to work on (one being alcohol consumption...even if I'm still under my calorie intake, I'm pretty sure it hinders the loosing process!) :drinker:

What I'm noticing in my food logs is that I always have tons of grams of fat left over, but not as many calories. Does anyone know of foods that may be higher in fat but low in calories? Preferably things that are semi-good for you (like cheese or PB) I'm not sure such a thing exists, but if it does, I'd love to find it!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    Peanut Butter

Watch out for that alcohol--contains sugar/carbs--will definitely slow down weight loss, also is a diuretic and therefore you need to drink more water.
  • floozieq
    Options
    Make a huge batch of vege stir fry and use just one TBL of olive oil. For breakfast I chop up tiny pieces of potato, peices of red and green pepper and onio, saute them... then throw on some low fat cheese and liquid egg white
  • sdbolam
    Options
    I know where you're coming from. This happened to me before because I was eating too much cereal and granola with little to no fat. It wasn't so much a lack of fat but an excess of sugars. Focus on lowering the sugars, maybe, and in turn, the fat will rise.

I've read tons of "expert advice" advising against fat free and even lower fat options regarding, for instance, yogurt and salad dressing. It just makes you hungrier, and it's usually filled with sugars (high in calories!) to compensate.

I hope that made a lick of sense!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Things higher in fat are going to have a higher calorie content since there are 9 calories per gram of fat as opposed to the 4 calories per gram that you see with carbs and protein.

Nuts are a good thing that are full of healthy fats. Try raw or dry roasted peanuts or almonds. An ounce usually has around 150-170 calories. Avocados are a good source of healthy fat as well, also dark chocolate and olive or canola oil. Toss a tablespoon or so with some pasta and mix with some herbs!
  • Bthack
    Bthack Posts: 48
    Options
    hummus is great!! eat it with carrots, celery, bell peppers. yum!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    High Fat and Low Calories don't go together - this is because fat is 9 calories per gram, whereas Carbs and protein are only 4 calories per gram. You just have to make room for some higher-calorie but good-fat filled food in your diet.

Cut out a few carbs would be my suggestion, since if you're under on fat but at your goal or over on calories - that means you're probably over on either carbs or protein. There are plenty of good fats for you - olive oil, avocado, peanut butter (or any nut butter), raw nuts, plus the fat in meat/milk/eggs is healthy for you in moderation. The fats you really want to avoid are trans-fats (ex. margarine made of hydrogenated vegetable oil), fried foods, etc.

So a practical example (not knowing your specific eating habits) - instead of a breakfast of cereal and fruit or toast and oatmeal (or other common carb-cetered breakfasts) have two eggs and some yogurt or even two eggs and some toast. Eggs are a great way to start the day - protein and fat, about 70 cal/egg. You can also switch to regular dairy if you normally eat skim/low-fat.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    Nuts. nuts, nuts! They will give your body the good fat it needs:)
  • CarpStylist
    CarpStylist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    AVOCADO!!!! Its the good kind of fat for you, plus loaded with vitamins that improve your hair, skin, and nails. Super beauty food!
  • cher0105
    Options
    Awesome foods, high in good fats:
    Olives, fish, Canola oil, avocado, nuts/sunflower seeds.

Unfortunately, given the nature of fats, they are by definition not going to be low in calories. However, pick fats that don't have added calories (skip a PB w/ added sugar...instead choose a natural one that is only peanuts).
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Hummus Rocks!
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    Eating higher fat is my choice way of eating. It keeps me full for much longer and has made weight loss a great deal easier.

Try having some: eggs, adding butter to things, adding nut butters to things, nuts, avocado, full fat dairy (cheese, greek yogurt, etc) fattier cuts of meat, oils, etc.

You may try cutting your carbs slightly (I know this isn't for everyone, but lowER carb makes me feel amazing); adjust your macros so that you can try eating slightly more fat & less carbs. :)
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options

Hummus Rocks!

Yeah, hummus is awesome! If you want to add a little more heart healthy fat to it, drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the top of it. A Greek restaurant I used to go to would do this and it tasted great. They'd also sprinkle a little paprika on it and topped it all with a couple kalamata olives. Mmm...

I'd also agree with avocados and fish (salmon is my preference)! Love them!
  • xTry2Defyx
    xTry2Defyx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm a big fan of hummus and guac...maybe I just need to broaden my snack choices. I always look for easy options, but I think I'll need to start prepping things the night before to ensure I make better choices.