A tall glass of water weighs ONE POUND So....

Options
Think twice before you weigh yourself every day! It is best to weigh yourself weekly or less.

If just one 16 oz glass of water weighs of a full pound then imagine how much your dinner weighs! (not to mention natural water retention) Keep this in mind when you step on the scale. A person's weight can fluctuate several pounds during the same 24 hours, so for those of you who are counting by the 1/2 pound and less every day, remember that a small glass of water weighs more than that!

I always try to weigh myself in the morning before I have eaten but after I have...ahem, used the restroom. That gives me an idea of what my body weighs with the least amount of water(etc) weight.

Just sayin' :)

Replies

• HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It is crazy how much my weight can change from 7am to 9pm, Depending on what I have eaten and drank throughout the day I can go up and down 7 lbs a day!!
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I have the same weigh in routine! :blushing:
  • missindepndnt86
    missindepndnt86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's generally how I do it too. Every Monday morning right after I've woken up and am getting ready to jump in the shower for work and after I've used the toilet!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how tied in you are to what you see on the scale. I weigh myself nearly every day so I can track my progress and get feedback on how I'm doing. If the scale jumps on a single particular day, it is easy for me to ignore that. If I see a slow upward trend over time, then I know I have to do things differently.

That said, your advice is sound for people who would spend time worrying about what the scale says every day, or perhaps lose motivation and eat whatever was in front of them if the scale showed an increase.

It IS normal to see fluctuations in your weight due to food or water recently ingested, or not yet eliminated from your body. Sodium intake and exercise also will cause your weight on the scale to fluctuate. None of these fluctuations indicate how you are doing in decreasing the amount of fat in your body.

Edited to say I weigh first thing in the morning, and don't get on the scale for the rest of the day...
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I noticed that too! Every other time I tried to diet, I was on the scale every day. But this time I decided to wait and weigh in on the 15th and the 30th of each month. I love seeing a big difference. Keeps my motivation up. This month, I lost 9 pounds between the 4th and the 15th. I would rather wait and see that, than 1/2 pound every few days.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    meeee to StephJ - I love waiting to see if the number has gone down over a period of time. It just still blows my mind that a glass of water weighs so much!!
  • mmorg0924
    Options
    Your water weight also relies on the amount of sodium intake you have had. Water automatically attachs to sodium and/or salt. The less salt you intake the lower your water intake and the faster you can release that water retention.

Also as women we ahve the wonderful monthly visit which most women retain more water the week before.

I would always keep that in mind when weighing yourself and always watch your sodium intake!!! Good Luck Ladys:flowerforyou: