NuvaRing/Mirena and weight (ladies?)

Options
13»

Replies

• candybutterflybabe
    Options
    I had the coil fitted in May last year and since then found it extremely difficult (impossible) to lose weight. I'm not the only one as a couple of friends experienced the same affects. However, I started using the MFP app on the 30th Dec and have lost 6lb so far. I think that my IUD has just settled down and now I'm losing those extra few pounds I put on. Hang in there, it will get better :wink:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Mirena is local, rather than systemic hormones that enter the bloodstream. For this reason, you should (in theory) not gain any weight because of it.

I have had Mirena since 2009 and experienced no weight gain.

This...

I used depo for 10 years (was fat), used my first Mirena for 5 years (was fat and got fatter), got my 2nd Mirena in and wham started counting calories and lifting 30lbs gone...it fell out...:sad: :sad: :sad: got the Depo shot again still losing weight...

I know that hormones can caused increased appetite but that being said if you read the leaflet with your BC you know that too so you just have to be aware of it....

And I have to say this is the first time since I join MFP that there has been a thread on BC where the majority of the woman said...

" I gained weight but that was my fault due to my eating and lack of movement"....

no back and forth about why BC is not the cause of weight gain but it is an increase in calories...

Kudos to all of you.

ETA: I loved depo, Loved my Mirena and was sad when it fell out..very sad...but love depo still even though I am on my first shot due for my 2nd in 2 weeks and have been spotting for 7 days.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I was on NuvaRing for years and gained weight due to poor eating habits and lack of exercise. I can put away a loooot of food and I've been that way since I was a child.

I just got Mirena a few weeks ago so I can't say much about it. No signifciant gain or loss so far.
  • butterrum13
    butterrum13 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I got Mirena in May 2011 and gained 25 pounds. It expelled then I got pregnant again in April 2012 and lost 15 pounds in my first and second trimesters; I was lighter at delivery than pre-pregnancy. It was my first-ever experience with hormonal birth control, and it seems Mirena and I don't get along.

I got a Paragard this time around and had no weight gain in the 11 months that I've had it in.
  • seasonsanna
    Options
    "I feel like women often blame weight gain on BC, but the culprit is usually age or pregnancy. Your body just changes. A good indicator is to look at your older siblings, mother, etc and see how they carried their weight over the years. "

I don't think this is true at all. I had it put in six weeks after my daughter was born, I was losing my pregnancy weight slow and steady, going for long walks, eating right, no problem, looking good and fit! please believe nothing about my diet or activity level changed. also, everyone in my family is thin, i am the only person who is overweight.

i complained with my first check up and my OB insisted it had nothing to do with Mirena, but there is no way my body just decided to start gaining, my belly bloated out, constant cramping, blood every day, sweating at night?! ive never had that problem. my OB did not want to take it out, she kept telling me my body had to get used to it, nooooo way man.

its great that it works so well for some ladies, i really wanted to love it! but it isn't for everyone, that's for sure.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I was at my highest weight of 245 lbs when I got the Mirena. I'm currently down to 175 and am almost to my 9th year of having a Mirena in.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    In the summer of 2012 I was diagnosed with a condition called endometrial hyperplasia. Basically, the cells in my uterine lining were going haywire and trying to turn into cancer. I had to take strong synthetic hormones for three months. Those killed all the cells in my uterine lining, both good and bad, and when healthy cells grew back, I had a Mirena put in because I was told I need a low dose of hormones to keep the hyperplasia from coming back.

I think the weight I gained that year was more from the synthetic hormones and from intense levels of stress/emotional eating, but I had so many problems with the Mirena that I had it taken out after three months. Cramps, mood swings, severe depression and anxiety--I was a mess. Thankfully, I've been on Junel for a year and have had no problems. Through smarter food choices and exercising regularly I lost my first 20 pounds or so relatively easily. I've plateaued more recently, but I don't blame the BC (I've been slacking).

Every woman is different, and we all react differently to different kinds of birth control. Doctors make educated guesses about what's best for us, but a lot of times there has to be some trial and error.