This might sound like a daft question...

Options
2»

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I work shift work. get 6 to 7 hours of sleep if I'm lucky, on work days. I also have sleep apnea, so I'm waking up several times a night anyway. Luckily I'm and endomorph, and lose weight easily. I just have a hard time keeping it off if I don't pay attentiion to diet.
  • ultraviolencexo
    Options
    Right, it's 12:44am here so I am going to go back to bed and try to sleep now I've had some warm milk lol up at 5am for work :(

Thanks for all the advice and replies!

Night xxxx
  • missgreen74_2003
    missgreen74_2003 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    but does the amount of sleep you get effect your weight loss?

I'm under on my calories and exercising but seem to be stuck at the same weight.

I haven't been sleeping well at all, having issues with insomnia and then when I do sleep I have night terrors... I know I'm 21 they should have stopped a long time ago; it's weird cos in the night terrors its like I'm awake in my sleep I can see the bedroom I'm in and I'm convinced I'm awake but feel trapped so try and wake myself up but I'm asleep so I can't physically do it... it's right weird.

but yeah back to the point is weight loss effected by sleep?

also any tips on how to get to sleep are welcome cos this is driving me nuts :(

thanks
    Melatonin has done wonders for me when I've struggled with sleep or wake up part way through the night. It's over the counter and I take a 3mg tab at night and sleep so well now. It contains calcium, magnesium, Valerian and other natural herbs .. I use the Sundown Naturals Brand and pay around $9 for a 3 months supply. It's not something you need every night but it helps to reset your sleep so your body adjusts to getting the rhythm back. I prefer the natural herbal method over the prescription simply because with this there's no drug hangover feeling the a.m.

Might check it out and see how it works for you until you can get the sleep cycle set again:flowerforyou:

I agree! Melatonin works wonders! I would also recomend it to help you get to sleep.
  • danaaaaa
    Options
    i'm 21 too and i ALWAYS have those dreams. but i always get em if i'm getting too much sleep. lol. it's weird. but i think so.
    cause the past couple of days i've been sleeping during the day and staying awake at night. but finally went to bed early and i worked out today and i had a GREAT workout. better than the ones i usually have !

They creep me out, there is like a level of consciousness though cos in my head I'm telling myself to try and switch the light on to snap out of it and last night I just told me self wait it out it will be over soon but they terrify me it's what I imagine been in a coma or something must be like, they are better now when I was younger there used to be spiders and the girl from the ring in them which is scary when you think you're awake lol

xx

tellllll me about it. it's terrifying and can get very ANNOYING. and haha i had a dream with the girl from the ring like the one you've had! man i thought i was the only one who has this problem. and sometimes i can't even breathe :frown:

I was gutted cos the ring as a film wasnt scary but that girl... jeeesus! luckily it was a dream where she was walking away from me i think if she'd turned around i would have had a heart attack, but that freaky walk urgh!
    I read somewhere that they can be caused by sleep apnea (i dunno if i spelt that right) but don't wanna go to doctors and sound like a mad person lol

lol! yeah! that walk is so friggin creepy!! i hate it! lol.

and yeah it's sleep apnea. and thats what i think have. :frown:
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I read recently (can't link it, don't remember where I read it) that scientists are beginning to think that we actually burn more energy sleeping than previously thought. If so, that's a great reason to get more shut-eye!
  • ultraviolencexo
    Options
    I went back to bed and didn't sleep at all grr feel like a zombie and off to work where I get to make a shed load of sandwiches using very sharp knives... on the plus side I won some cash playing bingo waheeyy!
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this yet but there are studies that suggest that if you sleep with a light source on, youre more likely to gain weight then if you slept in the dark. So put your tvs on a timer and turn off your night lights!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've heard that getting adequate rest can affect weight loss. I've been trying to get more lately.....don't know if I weigh less but I have more energy for the day thus I can be more active.
  • sandeeface518
    sandeeface518 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    melatonin does wonders for me and my chronic insomnia or even valerian root. and the night terrors, it sounds like what you're experiencing is called sleep paralysis, you're awake but you can't move your body. i've experienced it many many times and it's terrifying but if i remember correctly it's when you wake up during REM sleep. reading up on it really helps take away the fear...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Paralysis