I'm fairly new, Power 90 workout

Options
Hello Everyone I am fairly new discovered MFP about a week ago. I recently purchased the p90 Just completed week 1. I am the type of person that doesn't like making New Year's Resolutions, because I never can keep them. So my motivation right now for me is I am tired of being overweight. OK, I will be honest with myself and you, I am obese. (gasp) :-/ Wow! I actually said it. I am 30 years old, 5'1'' and weight 216. I started gaining my weight in high school. It didn't peak really until I was in my mid 20's. One of my reasons I started to gain my weight is I am a paramedic. You'd think that I would want to be skinny and in shape due to seeing sick and overweight people all the time. But with years and years of working on an ambulance the weight kept adding on. In thanks mainly to lack of sleep, poor eating habits (eating when you can, as fast as you can, whatever you can, lack of working out because I am tired. I have been off of a truck for 4 years now due to back and knee problems. I have decide that I am tired of carrying around this extra weight. I want to make a lifestyle change. It feels a bit easier for me to face a lot of this to complete strangers than it is to explain these feelings with family and friends. Don't get me wrong my family and friends are extremely supportive. But each time I have failed at continuing workout and losing weight I always feel like I let them down and they are disappointed in me. I know it's because they are worried about me and my health. But I am tired of feeling this way. Only a few of my friends know I am going to embark on this journey. I didn't want to say anything to anyone til I know this is something that I am able to keep up with. I have completely changed my diet and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Anyone else doing Power 90?

Thanks,
Melissa

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place. Everyone here is extremely supportive. Are you doing the p90x or the other power 90. I ask because several people have suggested that the first power 90 is a better place to start. I'm just trying to start an exercise program. So far I've succeeded in using my treadmill most days. Because I have 4 children time is an issue. I bought a pedometer and that helps me a lot. I find that even if I can't exercise, I try hard to get in extra steps every day. I got in a thousand steps today just putting away laundry. I try to add extra steps, such as puting the towels away one at a time instead of trying to get as many as I can in one load.:wink:
  • shannonmh1981
    Options
    Hi! I am not doing power 90, but I just started MFP too. It really does help you to keep track of what you are eating. I have been doing it for a week and a half and have lost 4 lbs:) It was really nice that you were able to be so honest, and I am sure that you will do a great job! If you need support there are sooo many people on here and it really does help. Good luck!
  • txlilangel4ya
    Options
    I am currently only doing the Power 90. I will like to try the P90X I just know I am no where near ready to embark on that trail. I haven't seen a weight difference in the week that I have been changing everything meaning diet and exercise. But I do feel a difference it feels like in my jeans and scrubs fit a little looser. I have a higher energy level now and getting rid of all the process foods helped so much. I actually want to get outside and be outside be it jogging or taking my dog for a walk. I have added on the fat burning days 30 minutes of combination of jogging and walking. I wanted to keep my sculpting days to just that. I am going to keep going for at least another week before I decide if I need to add more calories to my diet to start seeing the pounds drop to at least give my body a little more time to adjust to the shock it is getting :)
  • lilmoseypony
    Options
    welcome good luck you will achieve your goal have faith in yourself
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am currently only doing the Power 90. I will like to try the P90X I just know I am no where near ready to embark on that trail. I haven't seen a weight difference in the week that I have been changing everything meaning diet and exercise. But I do feel a difference it feels like in my jeans and scrubs fit a little looser. I have a higher energy level now and getting rid of all the process foods helped so much. I actually want to get outside and be outside be it jogging or taking my dog for a walk. I have added on the fat burning days 30 minutes of combination of jogging and walking. I wanted to keep my sculpting days to just that. I am going to keep going for at least another week before I decide if I need to add more calories to my diet to start seeing the pounds drop to at least give my body a little more time to adjust to the shock it is getting :)

I'm doing P90X and am on day 19. I did it a couple of years ago and got to day 72 but didn't watch what I ate carefully enough so the results weren't as good as they could have been.
    - Are you wearing a HRM while you exercise? I just got one and it says I'm burning A LOT more calories than I thought I was. Which explains why I'd been so hungry! I'd recommend getting a HRM; I found mine at Wal-Mart for less than $30.
    - Make sure you "eat the calories" you burn when you exercise in addition to you regular daily allotment, in order to keep you metabolism working.
    - Keep in mind that an exercise program this intense you'll be building muscle and loosing fat, muscle weighs more than fat. Focus on how you feel, your energy level, and how your clothes fit. Not on the scale.

Good luck! :-)
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    Hello - I just purchased Power 90 and it should be arriving in the next day or so. I've been diligent in using our treadmill and elliptical as well as watching what I eat over the last few weeks and still seem to be playing with the same 2-5 pounds. I'm 40 years old with at least 30 pounds to lose. I've decided it's time to start working on building muscle and hopefully that will help start the fat burning process. I'm excited to embark on this new fitness routine, and scared to death at the same time. I'm an avid cyclist and am tired of being the "fat chick" amongst our friends!! Good luck everyone and I appreciate all the support this website offers!
    :happy:
  • MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    txlilangel4ya - You can do it! I'm 51 and started P90 with my 16 year old 22 days ago.
    Just in those 22 days, I can see a tremendous difference in my workouts.
    I was actually thinking my heart was going to pop out of my chest that first week.
    I hit pause so many times on the remote to catch my breath, I wore off the ink.

But seriously, I'm now starting my 4th week and can get through the entire workout without having to stop to catch my breath.
    My heart rate is still high at times, but what an improvement!!!

I love what Power 90 and eating better is doing for me and my son.

Feel free to friend me for support.

One piece of advice that works for me...commit a specific time to do your workouts. It's no different than making a doctors appointment or other appointment. You wouldn't cancel them, so don't cancel the workout. Your important! Make 45 minutes a day your priority for yourself! You deserve it! I workout every night as soon as I walk in the door at 6pm. Everyone knows its important for me to do that and supports me so it works for me.

Good luck!
  • MikeK51
    Options
    rydn4h2o...glad your starting Power 90. Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
    I'm not that much further along (Day 22), but I'm willing to help you anyway I can.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    rydn4h2o...glad your starting Power 90. Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
    I'm not that much further along (Day 22), but I'm willing to help you anyway I can.

Thanks for the support!
  • danridge
    Options
    I have been thinking about doing the power 90. Do you need any special equipment?
  • MikeK51
    Options
    For Power 90 you only need free weights or the elastic bands.
    When you buy Power 90, mine came with 1 band.
    I don't use it, so I can't comment on how much it equates to in pounds,
    but I believe it is entry level (10-15 pounds).

Other than that, just committment, water, towel and dvd & TV.

Good luck. You'll be impressed when you use it.
    WOW....83 lbs lost! If you're use to exercising, etc. you may be ready for Power 90 Master Series or even P90X.
  • danridge
    Options
    Thanks for the information mike. I don't think i am ready for anything too hard yet.
    Most of my excercise has been from riding a bike and recreational kayaking last spring and summer.
    I am looking for something I can do indoors during the winter months.
    Are there any brick and mortar stores where i can buy the power 90 disks?

Thanks
  • MikeK51
    Options
    I don't believe you can buy the Power 90 in stores (but I'm not positive).
    I think you need to buy it from beachbody.com.
    Amazon and some others basically sell it for beachbody, so it's generally the same price.

It comes with Cardio 1-2 and Sculpting 1-2 on 1 CD, and Cardio 3-4 and Sculpting 3-4 on a second CD.
    They also throw in an extra workout CD which isn't part of Power 90 as a bonus (haven't tried it yet).
    You also get a manual, along with a spiral recipe book with other informative information.
    The elastic band and grips are included, along with a couple of charts for logging your workouts.

I think I paid around $70...seems like a lot, but well worth it!
    Let us know how you make out.