Feeling stuck

Options
To start off I wasn't sure where to post this! I love my in-laws to death and knew already last weekend they were coming to visit this coming weekend. They will be coming Friday afternoon until sunday evening. I don't feel uncomfortable around them and we are actually pretty close. They have visited for weekends before but never since I have started this whole journey. I'm kinda freaking out because I have been very committed to my exercise and I feel kinda crappy when I don't run/walk on my treadmill and I'm not sure if it would be rude to at least run for 20-30 minutes on Saturday (Sundays are my rest days)? My husbands says yes it would be. What should I do? Oh, and I live in Wisconsin and it is VERY cold so taking a walk and inviting them along isn't going to work :frown:

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Why would it be rude? It's 20 minutes! They can live without you for 20 minutes. I would stick to the routine if it were me. If they love and support you (which it sounds like they do), they'll understand and be happy that you're sticking to your plan. It's not like you're leaving for a 3-hour run every day. It's 20 minutes.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it would be rude to excuse yourself from their company for 20 minutes. That's about equivalent to how long it takes to shower, right? Would it be rude to shower when they're visiting too? lol!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    How about getting up 20 minutes earlier than everyone else. Then you could still get your work out in.
  • fluffnstuff11
    Options
    I say that it wouldn't be rude at all, if they all love you then they would understand that you need to take a little time to keep up your progress! I am going out of town next week and I am worried about the same thing, but I won't be around my workout dvds so I am worried also about what to do. I say just do it !
  • simplexserenity
    simplexserenity Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You're so cute for asking this lol. Explain your journey to them(I'm sure they'll be very impressed), politely excuse yourself, then go do your thing!
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. I don't think that I'd give anyone an option. I'd get up do my 20 minutes and move on. In all likelihood, they'll be proud of you for making the effort, and not put off by your sticking to the plan. Hang in there and do your thing. It will be fine! :flowerforyou:
  • LonnaRox
    LonnaRox Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That 20 minutes makes you a better you ... for you and for everyone else. Good luck!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I imagine they would be proud of you for taking the time to stay commited!!! Make the time for yourself and you will be sooo glad you did :)
  • IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    I agree it's not rude. Try doing it before they get up for the day if your body can handle an early exercise. That way everyone is happy. I don't think they would expect you to change your routine for them. Its a small price to pay to have a healty life.
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    Not rude at all! Your routine is important. If you want to go for a short run (or even if it was a long one!), you go and do it! :D
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Your husband told you it would be rude? Has he been supportive of this or does he have some issues?
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Your inlaws will understand and respect you for your commitment! I say run!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Um.....why would this be rude? I'm sure they would be celebrating the fact that you're doing so well! You explain to them, then go do your 20 minutes. Or, you get up in the morning before they do and get your 20 minutes on the treadmill, and no one's the wiser! :)
  • TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Woman, get your hiney up and do your workout! If anyone gets mad, that's THEIR problem. We have to learn to put ourselves first sometimes. That is not rude....it's essential. Love you! :flowerforyou:
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    It depends . . . if the treadmill is in the middle of the living room . . . or in the middle of the living space, I could see that, possibly, being on the rude side . . . disruptive anyway. I like the idea of getting up before everyone else (if possible) and getting it done before anyone else has a say. Not so much for possibility of being rude but just so you're freed up to be a part of whatever plans unfold.
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    hi wisconsin ..your husband said that cause he dont want to be left alone with them lol just kidding..i think they would under stand if you told them you had to do this for a half hour .im sure they wouldnt want to keep u from what your everday life is .try to get up early before they do and get er done...good luck..... illnois
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    chances are they will need some time to themselves during the weekend, use that time to exercise :) not rude at all! your husband isn't being supportive (sorry for saying so)
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You're so cute for asking this lol. Explain your journey to them(I'm sure they'll be very impressed), politely excuse yourself, then go do your thing!

Have they seen you since you've lost this weight? I'm sure if you tell them you need to do your daily walk real quick, they'll understand! Plus, it's only 20 minutes! It's not like the exercise I do, I go to Jazzercise which means I'm gone for at least an hour and a half at a time. If they seem weird when you let them know you're gonna go take a quick walk the next day, just wake up a little earlier, bundle up and take a quick walk. I'm from NE, so I know what you mean about the cold, the morning is worse too (most days)!
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    DO YOU!!!!! If you don't want to offend you could always do it in the morning before they wake up. But by all means do your exercise if you have that set routine. They are not babies and I'm sure your hubby can entertain them for 30mins geesh, kinda makes me wonder if he is supportive of your journey. Good luck!
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be rude--could you get up really early and do it before everyone else? Maybe they wouldn't mind doing something with the kids while you take a few minutes for yourself! Whatever happens, it will just be one day--if all else fails, switch your saturday for a rest day this week and do something light on sunday, back on track on Monday...Don't stress about it and ENJOY your guests! Maybe they will notice your weight loss and be more supportive than you expect!