gazelle opinions

Options
kingon8
kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
I just got a tony little gazelle, someone was giving it away in their yard, and I packed it up, cant have too much exercise stuff, but I have never used one, anyone have one and what are your opinions? like, dont like? Any info would be great, I am really curious, about what they work the most on the body

Replies

• kingon8
    Options
    I just got a tony little gazelle, someone was giving it away in their yard, and I packed it up, cant have too much exercise stuff, but I have never used one, anyone have one and what are your opinions? like, dont like? Any info would be great, I am really curious, about what they work the most on the body
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

I used to use a Gazelle, after I stopped running and skating and before I started dancing.

You may be able to get some tips online at the Gazelle or Tony Little site...I used to use mine like running or cross country...it works your legs all the time and you can reach your legs way stretched out for an extreme glide...you can swing on it...you can grove to your music with it...if you lean forward on the handles you'll add chest and tricep work and if you lean back you'll work your back and biceps...have fun!

If you get bored with it down the road you might like dance!
  • kingon8
    Options
    I actually have a couple belly dance videos, and love them!:flowerforyou:
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Is that what happens to Gazelles? Hmmm.. ~looking at the one that NEVER gets used~

I think its good for the person that cannot run, but is a little bit past walking. I cannot get a workout on it. Even with the resistence added.

Plus, the info commercials drive me bananas... but hey... You got yours at a really good price!
  • FatDancer
    Options
    I actually have a couple belly dance videos, and love them!:flowerforyou:

I love bellydance as well...which videos do you workout with?
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had one when I was coming off of basically two years of pregnancy with about 9 months of that on bedrest and hadn't moved in 6months. I liked it to get me started slowly, but after a couple of months, it wasn't a hard enough workout. Two other options, hold in full range of motion until you feel muscle burn. Place your feet sideways (so you have one or the other shoulder between the handles and do slow motion ranges. Very good workout for inner/outer thighs, especially if you hold at full range.
  • FatDancer
    Options
    Is that what happens to Gazelles? Hmmm.. ~looking at the one that NEVER gets used~

I think its good for the person that cannot run, but is a little bit past walking. I cannot get a workout on it. Even with the resistence added.

Plus, the info commercials drive me bananas... but hey... You got yours at a really good price!

You crack me up "Leather Neck"! (that's a compliment)!

Tony Little is too much for me too...just to hyper and wild eyed for me...and I'm not fond of long hair on men either...Oh but Hey, he does wear a ponytail!

I used to train with Marines...run at least 5 miles a day and weight train 5 days a week...I was so strong then and nothing else challenged my endurance...I like to switch things up and have been happiest and more cut since I started dancing...I still throw in some weight training, Fluidity training, Yoga and Pilates...before when I was training with you guys I could only do 1 or 2 pullups...with my new training method I can do at least 8 and more when the shoulder is not flared up.

Keep Your Head on a Swivel and stay safe!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love my gazelle. :happy: Especially for post-pregnancy exercise. I didn't get cleared for exercise until after 6 weeks (18 hour natural delivery) but was able to do the gazelle. My biggest tip is to keep your heels down so that you feel it all in you hamstrings and butt. Otherwise it really is like speed walking or a slow jog. Which you'll work back up to in time. It's not a big fat burner, but racks up burnt calories pretty quick and really tones. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Ironically enough, I am originally from Canal! My older brother & sister went to Fisher. Small world!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    GET INTO IT!!!!

TonyLittle_REV.jpg

Haha, I just think Tony is a fun-looking guy.
    I've used the Gazelle a couple times...it's definitely different from an elliptical, so I was surprised, because I thought it'd be pretty much the same. Anything that gets your HR above 65% will improve your CV health and burn calories, so if it does, that, fabulous!
  • FatDancer
    Options
    Songbyrd...he he he!
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Options
    I have had a gazelle for a couple of months and it's a good workout but I can't seem to get my heart rate up very high on it. Also, I'm not sure how many calories I burn when I workout on it so I just consider it walking 3.5 mph in the exercise log. It's convenient and quiet so I can get on it and use it while watching a whole movie.
  • kingon8
    Options
    I am curious about the cals because the people I got it form mustve ripped off the monitor, there are cords that went into it hanging on it, but the monitor on the center is gone! I will say I cant feel the burn per say on it but it does make my legs feel soooo good when they are streched out like that!
  • Sillymama88
    Options
    My gazelle is currently in my garage about to be brought in and back "up and running"....in all serious I do think it is a great piece of fitness equipment- especially for a beginner since it is low impact. Also, on a side not when I used to have it set up in my living room for some reason guests found it very enticing- everyone wanted to get on it and try it out. :happy:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I can maintain 6-7mph for over an hour based on my monitor and average 115-130 cal every ten minutes at that pace. I run about a 10 min mile and feel the gazelle is easier even though it says I'm on a 9-10 min pace.

I've noticed I burn more calories when I keep my heels down and in front of me rather than going into full toe-off & extension. So decide what your priority is 'cause I haven't found a way to combine both cals & range of motion :wink:

Even at that pace, my heart rate is usually around 130-140, so you're right, don't make that the focus. Not gonna get it very high, but can be very effective while watching t.v. and burning cals!

Good luck :happy: