Before or After

yacker678
yacker678 Posts: 41
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
What is better to strength train before or after cardio? Sometimes I do it first sometimes after, but what is the best.

Replies

• EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    I'm not sure what the "best" is, but for me, cardio takes a little less energy than lifting weights. Keep in mind, I have a nice steady pace on the elliptical, but hit the weights hard. I care more about burning calories and gaining muscle mass than building endurance doing cardio, but that's just me.

My routine:

*Warm up on the elliptical for about 5 minutes - burns 100 cals
    *Lift - about 45 minutes
    *Elliptical for about 32 more minutes, burns 600 more cals
    *Protein shake immediately after, followed by a healthy meal in another half hour

You want to make sure that you eat/drink something high in protein soon after the workout, otherwise your body will use your muscle tissue as energy.

This is just how I understand things, but someone else might say otherwise.
  • you are correct except for the 100 cals in 5 mins, I don't think you burn that much when you warm up, if it's rly the case (considering that machine is okay in the calculation), your warm up would be too much intense imo
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    This may not be right but I stretch good then do weight first so i have those fresh bursts of energy and all my strength. I feel by the time im done on the elliptical or treadmill or cardio period im kind of spent
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    you are correct except for the 100 cals in 5 mins, I don't think you burn that much when you warm up, if it's rly the case (considering that machine is okay in the calculation), your warm up would be too much intense imo

Well, it's probably closer to 5 and half minutes depending on the setting I start with. I don't know...I just go by what the machine says!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Lift first, cardio second. If you do the cardio first, then you are trying to lift weights using already fatigued muscles and your weight lifting workout won't be as effective.

If you are also doing abs, do that before weight lifting - so the complete order of things is abs, weights, cardio. The logic behind doing the abs first is that if you leave them to the end, you are more likely to sluff off and not work them as hard as if you had worked them at the beginning of your workout.

Hope this helps!
  • Thank you all for the info. Now I can feel like I am doing it the best way.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Lift first, cardio second. If you do the cardio first, then you are trying to lift weights using already fatigued muscles and your weight lifting workout won't be as effective.

If you are also doing abs, do that before weight lifting - so the complete order of things is abs, weights, cardio. The logic behind doing the abs first is that if you leave them to the end, you are more likely to sluff off and not work them as hard as if you had worked them at the beginning of your workout.

Hope this helps!

I agree with this. Don't forget a warm up of some sort is required. Mobility work before strength for me.
This discussion has been closed.