salting air popped popcorn

Options
so i have my air popper and i LOVE it.
but i like to have a bit of salt on my popcorn to give it some flavor. but when i just sprinkle salt on it, it doesn't stick and all just ends up in the bottom of the bowl.
any ideas on how to combat that?

Replies

• Melisha82
    Melisha82 Posts: 243
    Options
    I spray butter flavored spray on mine and it sticks to it
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    i'm trying to avoid artificial flavorings though, and i don't necessarily want the butter taste.
    do you think maybe lightly spraying water would do the trick?
  • jrow5
    jrow5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think water might make the popcorn shrivel and get all soggy...
    have you tried putting it in a bag with the salt and shaking it? That way the salt goes in all the little nooks and crannies.
  • Melisha82
    Melisha82 Posts: 243
    Options
    I think it would. It's the moisture from my spray that gets it to stick! You should try :)
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Actually, yes!! My aunt showed me that if you take a little bowl and put just a little layer of water in the bottom and put it in the microwave for about a minute or two to make the microwave moist, then you leave the water bowl in there, and place the bowl of popcorn in there, and turn it on for about 45 sec, the moisture in the mic will wet the popcorn just enough to help the salt stick if you put it on right away. Just make sure not to put it in too long or it will get really soggy or overcooked. Really weird and you might have to experiment with the times and amount of water, but it really does work!!
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    do they sell a powered salt? I agree w/the spray butter... it has minimal calories.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    They sell popcorn salt, which is finer than table salt just so it'll stick.

You can also just pop the kernels in a paper bag in the microwave, and if you throw the salt in there at the beginning, I find the salt sticks pretty well.

Just make sure the turntable doesn't get caught up and quit turning -- it'll burn. And fold the bag down two or three times!