Rethinking being a vegetarian - my experience

Options
Well as of today after 10 years of being a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I ate meat for the first time.

I started 10 years ago as part of a health kick or was it the vegetarian girlfriend? - I actually cant remember. Anyway, the health kick ended a long time ago, the relationship ended a long time ago, but the vegetarian thing just became ingrained. Since then I have come to doubt the health benefits. I have had some marvellous cholesterol results (to the point my doctor wanted to know if I was secretly taking statins), but my weight has just ballooned. The lack of protein has just made me crave carbs. Extra carbs plus middle age plus a desk job is not a good combo. When my non-vege wife first met me should could not believe how much I snacked on sweet things.

In the last year, I have tried to fix my protein intake by increasing my legumes and fake vege food, but there comes a point where you think is all this fake vege food and estrongenic soy good for me. I had tried to fix it with protein shakes, consuming upwards of 3 shakes a day. I felt so much better, but the number of shakes is just not sustainable long term. So then I tried eggs and shakes and felt even better again, less cravings. Then my daughters egg allergy flared up and the eggs had to go out of the house again. So I figured it was the combination of protein and some fat that really helps satiate me.

So here I am wondering what the next step was - and I was left with 2 choices: eat meat or just put up. After reading all the ex-vegetarian material on the "net" for weeks and having a long chat with my wife I pulled the pin today and ate meat for lunch.

So about an hour ago I snuck off to a restaurant by myself for lunch to break a 10 year no meat thing. I found the menu very very confusing as I am so used to having only one thing to pick. After scratching my head I ordered lamb. I don't know why - I just did. I felt very weird ordering lamb. I felt like someone from the vegetarian police were going to come and arrest me.

I can tell you the taste wasn't bad. It wasn't horrible like I fell like I am going to vomit. It wasn't great either, like WOW I cant believe I didn't eat meat all these years. It tasted just ok - funny texture, salty/fatty taste and a very strong smell. I wonder what my poor gut will make of it? I am sure my enzymes will adapt.

Anyway, thought I would share my experience. I will try eating meat for a month again and then decide. I will let my MFP ticker decide if it was the right step or not.

If you have had a similar experience or struggles as well, let me know, I would love to hear about it.

regards, Caprica

p.s. Even though I ate an hour ago, everything around me still smells like cooked meat. Also I still feel like the vege police are coming to arrest me soon ...

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I'm actually really interested in your experience. I've never been vegetarian, but I know some people who have been (or are) vegetarians. Some seem fine, others have had health issues flair up and chose to start eating meat again. I hope things work out for you!
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    did you stop eating meat because our bodies weren't made to process it, or because of how they are killed? You could have done fish & vegetables to help stick to the vegetarian kick... i'm a meat eater myself but my sister isn't.... well she does if it's been killed by a hunter but not a commercialized kill.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    That's so funny, because my neighbor is a vegetarian. All she talks about is sweets! I wondered if that's a vegetarian thing!
  • IceFaith
    Options
    Interesting post. I'm not a vegetarian but I will keep track of this. For your next meat consumption you might consider eating fish, chicken or turkey. Those might be lighter in flavor and easier on your system since it isn't accustomed to meat anymore. Good luck :)
  • juliedk
    Options
    i've tried the vegetarian thing ... then just added back in eggs ... then added sea food back in ... i was craving everything ... needed protein ... nuts and beans weren't doing it ... took multi vitamins cuz somebody said i might be low on iron (especially that time of the month) ... i only lasted about 6 months ... i feel better all around ... i still mostly don't eat meat ... but sometimes i just have a hamburger and i'm w/out craving meat for another cpl weeks ... i do eat quite a bit of eggs and cheese as my protein source (as well as nuts and beans and peanut butter)
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    The decision to eat or not eat meat is a personal one, of course, but I think it would be wrong to say that a vegetarian diet is unhealthy. All information available on vegetarianism claims it's a healthier lifestyle. That isn't to say it's easy getting all the appropriate nutrients. I don't struggle with protein, but I do struggle with iron.

I think the question to ask yourself is why you would choose not to eat meat. If you are familiar with and convinced by the environmental arguments or the ethical arguments, then it's a small sacrifice to have to plan your food intake around maximizing nutrients needed.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Wow lamb is where you started? That's a really "strong" meat. I hope you feel good. Your body is going to not be used to it.
    I hope it works well for you. Chicken and fish might be a better starting place.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Odd. I've been a vegetarian my entire life and have never had a health problem because of it nor have I not been able to get in at least 60 grams of protein a day with resorting to faux meats and shakes. I'll say it again....I feel like a broken record sometimes...but even vegetarians that have been in this lifestyle for a long time need to do their research. Open your eyes to the possibilites around you when it comes to food. It's not all about faux meats, there are tons of ways to get in protein and vitamins.
    Take a step back and examine why you became a veg to begin with. Once you have that figured out all you have to do is make a simple choice as to eat meat or not.
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    did you stop eating meat because our bodies weren't made to process it, or because of how they are killed? You could have done fish & vegetables to help stick to the vegetarian kick... i'm a meat eater myself but my sister isn't.... well she does if it's been killed by a hunter but not a commercialized kill.

I cant remember exactly why - it is such a long time ago. But basically I was hanging around people at the time who were into saving the animals, I liked the sound of the health benefits and it just stuck.

In terms of the pescotarian thing - I don't know if that is where I will settle. Most fish eating vegetarians I have met are typically people who dont like the texture of red meat. They also t eat chicken sometimes. Once you eat fish and chicken, I dont know if you can call yourself a vegetarian anymore. But it is all of this is a matter of degree. I have vegan friends who cant believe that I would eat "liquid flesh" (i.e. eggs).
  • yummiyummimummi
    Options
    I can totally understand your dilemma. And yes meat does taste good! Whether you eat it or not I think is a personal choice so you shouldn't feel like the veggie police are gonna hunt you down hahaha.

Eating loads of fake meats is extremely unhealthy. Our bodies are not designed to process it either. And all the soy causes serious estrogen problems. But I also struggle to get my daily 100g of protein that I need to sustain my muscles whilst losing fat purely from animal sources. I just dont want to eat 10 egg whites and two steaks a day! So I looked at protein shakes but eventually threw out the ones I had after reading the label. (we want to gave another baby soon and I don't want to eat any artificial sweetners).

So anyway, long story short I just wanted to share with you that I now use a vegan protein powder which uses sprouts and rice to create a complete protein mix. It doesn't taste like anything ( the manufacturer calls it a neutral flavor) but I actually think that's ok because I can add vanilla extract or stevia if i want some flavour. Unlike other veggie protein powders it's very low carb (3g for 18g of protein) . It's called Raw Protein and I think the company is called Garden of Life or Life Garden.

Anyway there are other products, but this is the only one I have found that's got a good protein/ carb balance and doesn't have all those nasty fillers.

I hope you find a way that works for you. By the way you really chose the most pungent of meats to fall off the wagon with! Lol even non-vegetarians find the flavor lasts forever! ;)
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My daughter was a vegetarian for 2 years. She began to notice some health issues, some as bad as hair loss this was her "sign" that maybe she should change. She started with chicken and will include shrimp and fish now, but she wont eat beef, pork or any other choices. But the family meals are much more enjoyable now and she looks healthier and slimmer too, and you know the sweet thing, yes she had sweet munchies next to her bed all the time during her 2 year vegetarian stint. Now she prefers popcorn, vegis, hummus, much more variety in her snacking! I also think the lamb was a brave choice to start with, but I hope what ever you decide that you continue to do what feels good for you! Enjoy the new adventure in healthy food!
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Something to think about. I have started moving toward a very low sat fat diet. I only eat red meat one serving bi-weekly if that and I know I'll hear people argue but I consider (anything that isn't a bird, egg, or fish) red meat. I drink only unsweetened almond milk and water, and have one fiber one yogurt every other day and eat cheese maybe once a week. I eat 1-2 servings of dry roasted or raw unsalted nuts a day. I eat egg omlets every morning w/ vegetables. Dinner is usually some type of legume and whole grain. mybe one day I'll have fish and one day chicken in a week. I am not a fan of fake meats. Any other food is a fruit or vegetable usually no more than two fruits/day.I always stick with logging and eating in portion sizes even if I eat two portions. I used to have major snack and sweet cravings, and then I heard that if you start the day low carb that is what your body will expect all day. I swear to you I am not having the cravings for sweets or salty snacks anymore. I will occasionally figure one into my calorie alotment but even then I stick to the serving size. I have lowered my cholesterol and lost weight eating like this, and it's not that far off from lacto- ovo vegetarian. I
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    My daughter was a vegetarian for 2 years. She began to notice some health issues, some as bad as hair loss this was her "sign" that maybe she should change. She started with chicken and will include shrimp and fish now, but she wont eat beef, pork or any other choices. But the family meals are much more enjoyable now and she looks healthier and slimmer too, and you know the sweet thing, yes she had sweet munchies next to her bed all the time during her 2 year vegetarian stint. Now she prefers popcorn, vegis, hummus, much more variety in her snacking! I also think the lamb was a brave choice to start with, but I hope what ever you decide that you continue to do what feels good for you! Enjoy the new adventure in healthy food!

I hate to say this...but your daughter wasn't doing a proper vegetarian diet. If she had been the sweets and hair loss wouldn't have happened. Take a look though my photos to see my hair....I've been a vegetarian for almost 26 years and I have never had an issue like this.
  • lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, although my friends call me one. I tell people I don't eat anything with a neck. I have been watching my protein intake and I seem to get plenty, from whole grains, milk products and the occasional egg or fake veggie food. I do use a lot of TVP (texturized soy) in recipes.
    I am also a sugar-holic. I'm pretty sure I was one before I became vegetarian, which was about 25 years ago. But anyhow, I do crave sweets, and it makes it hard to stick to 1200 cal/day without compromising my nutrition. I'm going to follow this thread to see if other "vegetarians" have the same cravings. I have never thought about it before to tie it to my diet.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I'm going to follow this thread to see if other "vegetarians" have the same cravings. I have never thought about it before to tie it to my diet.

I'm not a big sweets fan, lol. Most of the vegetarians and vegans I know are not. I tend to crave salty foods more.
  • lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I always loved sweets, maybe it's just my nature :)
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Earlier someone mentioned lamb to be strong. it is in flavor but it is probably one of the easiest to digest red meats. veal is very digestible (please no baby cow comments I am speaking only to digestibility) Lamb, chicken, fish being the easiest beef and pork the hardest to digest so it's not a bag intestinal choice as long as the flavor is ok to you. I am a huge lamb and veal fan due having grown up very Italian and those were family staples.
  • canoekayak
    Options
    I have a friend who a vegetarian - but he eats seafood to supplement his protein needs = tuna - salmon - talipia - shrimp - crab meat - sushi. So you might try adding it to your system. Also eggs as well - try the organic and cage free ones - with less hormonal injections in them. Also since you were cooking your foods - have you tried doing some raw foods, with out cooking - once your food is above 112 - 115 temps it destroys a lot of vitamins and nutrients, just try some new things to see if you like it.
  • Depplover28
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I completely understand about the carbs and sweets! When I first made the change 4 years ago, I didn't know what to eat, so I ate a bunch of noodles every day and gained some weight. Being a vegetarian isn't for everyone though...
  • SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is a very interesting post, and I will definitely be following it. I have also thought about becoming a vegan after I read Alicia Silverstone's book, "The Kind Diet." It's a very enlightening book in my opinion, but I felt that even though I absolutely despise the idea of eating animal flesh, I couldn't keep up with the cost/"difficulty" of this new way of living. My time as a vegan only lasted about 2 1/2 weeks, and I felt better mentally for sure. Don't worry, I definitely know that my lack of commitment stemmed from a lack of knowledge about this lifestyle. I've been considering it again, and I will keep following up on your journey. :)

Best of luck!