Do you eat leftove exercise calories?

Options
I worked out like a fiend yesterday and had a 750 kCal deficit. I finished my workout late and didn't feel like eating, so I didn't. I really don't want to starve myself; should I eat those kCals today?

Replies

• 750legpress
    750legpress Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You've got to eat some protein and carbs after a hard workout to feed those muscles...can be something light..or even a protein shake. My trainer makes sure I do that and it really helps me feel better. I, like you, work out later than I'd like, but I follow his advice. And no, I do not eat all of the leftover exercise calories...I've got a lot of weight to lose, but I want to do it right (what is they say? Slow and steady wins the race...)

Best of luck to you!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have gone back and forth on this, and I've pretty much decided NOT to eat my calories back. I realized that, on the Biggest Loser, they burn something like 8000 calories per day, and they eat 1600 or so. I upp'ed my daily intake to around 1400 (instead of 1200), and I'm trying my best to ignore the calories MFP gives back to me.

That's my two cents...
  • lgochya
    lgochya Posts: 39
    Options
    I typically don't "eat back" the calories. I just have a daily deficeit. As long as I am at my initial 1200 calories. Although if I am hungry I will eat, I just make sure it is "good" choices. Usually a good chance for me to get in more of those fruits and veggies.Good luck!
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I eat back enough to get back to the 1200 calorie daily minimum. So if I worked out and it says that I've earned 600 calories due to exercies but I only need 250 calories to get back to the 1200 level I'll eat at least 250 calories (sometimes a little more, but usually not ALL of them). I also try to make sure that the calories that I eat back are healthy ones (fruits, veggies, proteins) and not just junk food. :)
  • lauramaeh
    Options
    I had a similar day yesterday, with 656 calories" leftover". However, that is rare, so when it happens I don't feel like I need to eat just to eat. Most days Im a little higher or lower than my goal. If you often have such a big amount of calories leftover I think it'd be best to eat more so you don't deprive yourself nutrients or have your body go into "starvation mode."
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you are hungry after you work out then eat. If not, dont. Just make sure you get some extra protien in the following day.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links - I need to do some reading on this!

I generally get my exercise in at the very end of the day, and I also sometimes eat fewer calories during the day than planned (even if I plan to not, somehow!) which sometimes leaves me with a deficit, plus exercise to add to it. My issue is that I don't want to eat those calories at night - and I know my issue is centered around planning (as in, I need more calories during the day and plan my exercise in to it).
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I have gone back and forth on this, and I've pretty much decided NOT to eat my calories back. I realized that, on the Biggest Loser, they burn something like 8000 calories per day, and they eat 1600 or so. I upp'ed my daily intake to around 1400 (instead of 1200), and I'm trying my best to ignore the calories MFP gives back to me.

That's my two cents...

The problem with this idea for most people is this - Those people typically have HUNDREDS of pounds to lose. Anyone with less than 50 lbs to lose is NEVER going to lose at the same rate they do on that show. And trying to lose at that rate without the same environment (doctors, trainers, nutritionists) is not only unhealthy, it's dangerous. Feed your body or it WILL rebel, sooner or later.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Some days I do some days I dont...it honestly depends on how hungry I am.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    While I was losing I found that I HAD to eat all my calories or I just stopped losing weight. The hardest thing for me to really believe was that I had to eat to lose weight. But it was totally true for me. I ate all my calories or as close as I could and I lost 20lbs in 21 weeks, including the 4 to 5 weeks it took for me to believe I had to eat more to lose weight.

I hope you find a formula that works for you and good luck with this journey.