Kettle bell? Have you used it?

Options
I am hearing a lot about kettle bell workouts & wanted to know if anybody out there had used it.
Did you see results? How fast? What weight did you use? Any other info would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Oh man I was surpose to test out my kettle bell tonight. I purchase one last night but I forgot to do it. I've read that it really help sculpt your body quicker.
  • Buttsmom
    Buttsmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I use a 5 lbs currently, I will up to a heavier one once $ allows. I love it. It's hard to save if I have seen results from using it because I do so many other things as well. I got one one I'm using from Walmart for $15 and it comes with a DVD workout.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I love my Kettlebells!! I am currently using a 5lb one cuz I just started using them.. They work wonders tho and I can already feel a diff. in my body :smile:
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use KB's to change up my workouts. There are quite a few exercises you can do with them. I recommend looking on youtube for examples. Keep in mind that with kettle bells you need to ensure you have proper form because you're a little more prone to injury. For example a standard 2 hand kettle bell swing...I've seen alot of people pull muscles in their lower back due to improper knowledge of how to do the exercises.
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a Kettlebell Cardio class at my gym and I love it!!! My class combines cardio with swinging that bell around, I've only been going for 2 weeks and use 5lbs, but I also take Zumba, Ab Attack and a Boot Camp class, so between all of that I'm hoping to see some results, but I just can't say if it will be from Kettlebell alone. I love variety so I mix it up often and when I don't feel like going out or am too tired, I use my Wii Fit Plus! Try it you might like it, but if you've never done it start with 5lbs, after about 30mins it feels like it weighs 20lbs!:drinker:
  • littlemoron
    littlemoron Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer for a while and she LOVED kettle bells, and consequently made me use them all.the.time. They are great - depending on how you use them, they can give you an intense cardio workout, tone and build muscle, help with balance and posture. Very versatile. BUT, they require a lot of focus on form and technique, so be careful at first. Swings (swinging the kettle bell between your legs), for example, LOOK easy, but you have to make sure that all of your weight is in your heels when you squat, or else you might go flying or put out your back or something.

Anyway, recommended, and you will definitely see results. :drinker:
  • purplefreak60
    purplefreak60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I bought a 7 lb Bob Harper Contour Kettlebell @ Target, it came with his Kettlebell Basics DVD over the weekend. I LOVE IT!! Its a great workout! I've only done it 3x and it kicks my butt. The day after I used it the first time I could barely walk, its basically 30 minutes of squats with weights worked in. I highly recommend getting his combo! Good luck!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I did this yesterday.

35lb KB, 10 reps of each. no break.
    swing R
    swing L
    clean R
    clean L
    snatch R
    snatch L
    squat R
    squat L
    press R
    press L

70lb KB,
    two hand swings
    25 x 4
  • YayMe17
    YayMe17 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies & great information. I think the Kettle bells are a go. All positive. Thanks again.
  • jeronz
    jeronz Posts: 9
    Options
    Kettlebells are a very good all round workout. Women should start with an 18 pound. Make sure you get someone to show you correct technique though as technique is very very important.

I am a beginner and use a 35 pound. I never liked weights but kettlebell workouts are addictive. Nothing else can bring my heart rate as high as three sets of snatches.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to a fitness conference this weekend and the first class I'm taking is Kettlebells for Rehabilitation. I can't wait. I have two at home, a 20 pound and a 35 pound. I have just started using them since I got those two for Christmas, and I've had to take some time off because of fighting off a cold for the last couple of weeks, but I love them. My best recommendation is to get a video by an RKC certified trainer and not just the one that comes with the bells at your local discount store. Unfortunately, many trainers don't get a kettlebell certification and have poor form in their videos because they just see them as another weight and don't realize that they have a greater injury risk with poor form because of the ballistic movement patterns of the exercises. I'd trust a football coach to teach kettlebells before the average trainer at the gym because a coach is at least use to training for explosive movement where a lot of trainers aren't and don't realize they aren't being safe with them. I get my stuff from www.power-systems.com. It's a little pricey to get the RKC certified videos but well worth the investment with the decreased risk of injury.