Working out, eating more

CarpStylist
CarpStylist Posts: 24 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So I'm trying to lose 15 pounds. MFP has me eating 1220 cals a day and working out 3x a week for 60 minutes. The problem is, everytime I workout, I tend to eat more! LOL. I usually eat around 1400 cals on days that I workout. During my workouts, I burn between 500-700 cals. I know I still have a deficit but I would reach my goal quicker if I would stop indulging. Any tips on curbing the appetite post workout?

Replies

• thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    You are actually supposed to consume more calories when you work out. Otherwise, your body thinks you're starving it and holds on for dear life to those calories you do eat, which means you don't lose any weight. They say you're supposed to eat all the calories you burn, but many people only eat half of them back. That way it accounts for any error in calories burned estimations and gives you a bigger deficit without starving yourself.
    Hope that helps!
  • CarpStylist
    CarpStylist Posts: 24 Member
    Ah ha! So that's how it works.
  • carguy42503
    carguy42503 Posts: 24 Member
    Your body needs to refuel after a workout. So I wouldn't try to curb the appetite, I don't think you'd have much success with that anyway. Instead, I would try to plan your day so that you have a planned snack or meal directly after your workout time. Or alternately, even if you add an additional planned snack in on workout days you should be ok. If you plan for a snack of about 100-150 cals (I would suggest something high in protein for muscle recovery) and you are burning 500-700 cals you should still be in really great shape and you'll be keeping that metabolism burning.
This discussion has been closed.