What's the best calorie counter?

Options
I am wanting to get a calorie counter/ heart monitor but don't what the best one is and I don't want to spend money on the wrong one! If you could let me know what you have and how well it works I would greatly appreciate it! I really want one so I know how many calories I am burning while excercising so I can have an accurate count! Thanks everyone!

Replies

• caseymcq
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this! I was wondering the same thing! I was just looking at walmart online at the heart rate monitor/calorie counter watch things. Now, I'm not trying to spend $200, but I do want something that will tell me my heart rate and how many calories I am burning. Maybe some people will reply who own one that will give some good feedback! :)
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I want one, too. I would suggest looking on Amazon and reading the reviews on HRMs to see which is the best.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i just bought the sportline s7 from walmart for $30. works just fine for me!
  • caseymcq
    Options
    Good idea! I completely forgot about Amazon! :D
  • jlmnk1313
    jlmnk1313 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did that last night but there are always good and bad comments! I just thought getting reviews on here might help dwindle down on my options! They have SOOOO many! lol
  • jlmnk1313
    Options
    Is it a watch?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be getting the FT40 or 60 model. I hate to have to buy things twice.
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just bought mine off of Amazon, it was $41 I think, it is called a timez personal tainer. I used it for the furst time this am working out and love it. I burned more calores than I thought I had in a 30 min work out. 22 of that was Jillian Michaels. It tells you how to set your lowest and highest heart rate, and you where tthe chest strap and it sends a signal to the watch. And as you toggle through the options it shows you time you've worked out, your average heart rate and calories burned
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex HRM. I actually won it in one of those heart-and-stroke lottery things, way before I even really knew what it was for! Fast forward a few years and now I'm happy I have it! It's mid-range in terms of price, and works perfectly. Timex is a good, trusted brand. Check it out! :bigsmile:
  • jlmnk1313
    Options
    Thanks guys I will check that brand out for sure!! Do you find that the chest monitor gets in your way or bugs you when you work out?
  • rckchik13
    Options
    I just ordered the Timex T5G971 from Amazon. With shipping it was right under $50 and it counts calories as well as the heart rate. It has a lot of great reviews for accuracy. I start the P90X training soon and need an accurate one to track.

http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors/timex-personal-trainer-heart-rate-monitor-t5g971
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    I'm looking too, and am interested in learning more. I'm looking towards the Timex, but still undecided.
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think I wore the chest strap a little too tight last night, but didn't even realize it was on
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I can't decide between watch-only and chest strap versions. I saw maybe one non-chest-strap HRM on Amazon with reviews claiming the accuracy was good (iirc). Anyone with opinions either way?
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 that I bought on E-bay. It has a chest strap and if you wear it pretty snug under a sports bra you don't even really feel it. I used it all last year, but then the battery died and I'm not sure if you can replace it or not, I haven't really looked that much into it. I do recommend one - it really helped get my weight loss going when I was stuck. I wasn't burning as much as MFP said I was and therefore my calories were off.
  • jlmnk1313
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the info I am gonna check them all out and see what will work best for me! I appreciate all of your advise!
  • stephlayne
    stephlayne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Sportline from Best Buy (it was $60) and it is TERRIBLE. It says I burn a calorie every minute and a half and does not seem to measure increased heart rates at all. I was using my Wii Active 2 (which has a heart rate monitor to calculate calorie loss) and it said I had burned 276, but when I looked at my watch it said I had only burned 25 calories. I am definitely returning it to Best Buy this weekend!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I can't decide between watch-only and chest strap versions. I saw maybe one non-chest-strap HRM on Amazon with reviews claiming the accuracy was good (iirc). Anyone with opinions either way?

I've heard that the non-chest strap isn't as accurate (it works usually by measuring your pulse as you hold your finger against the back of the watch). It can't monitor your progress as you go either, just when you measure it. However, I find that the chest strap is annoying and gets in the way, and because I have a large chest, it feels like it doesn't sit properly :grumble:
  • thefishers4
    thefishers4 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Don't go with a Sportline. I got the s12 and am already sending it back. Didn't even keep track of my calories. So upset too because I was looking forward to it.