Protein pairing for creamy pumpkin curry soup?

Options
Hi all- I am making a creamy pumpkin soup from an old Cooking Light recipe tomorrow night... we have never ate anything with pumpkin (besides pies of course) so I'm excited to make this soup.

However- I'm having trouble thinking of something to go along with the soup... does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like some sort of protein option. Thanks!!!

Replies

• monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    I've got nothing for you...lol. I just wanted to say, "You go girl!" 5 kids and you're a weight losing machine!!! Very inspiring:)
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What about putting some sort of pulse with it ie legumes, chick peas, lentinls etc in with soup, i think chick peas would be good and would tie in with the curry optiions, or just poach some chicken and dice in it and put it in just before you serve it
  • scorpiohoney
    scorpiohoney Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would pair it with shrimp or chicken - maybe with some cilantro to match the curry

Good luck! Let us know how the recipe turns out! I've had a great pumpkin soup before so I hope this is a treat for you.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Here is the recipe if that helps!

Creamy Pumpkin Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Oct '97 Soups/Stews/Chowders

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

2 teaspoons stick margarine
    1 cup chopped onion
    3/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
    1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3 (10 1/2-ounce) cans low-salt chicken broth
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 cups cubed peeled fresh pumpkin (about 1 pound)
    1 cup chopped peeled McIntosh or other sweet
    cooking apple
    1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
    Sage sprigs (optional)

Melt margarine in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; saut? 3 minutes. Add sage, curry powder, and nutmeg; cook 30 seconds. Stir in flour; cook 30 seconds.

Add broth, tomato paste, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in pumpkin and apple; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool slightly.

Place mixture in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return mixture to Dutch oven; add milk. Cook until thoroughly heated. Garnish with sage sprigs, if desired.

Serving Size: 1 cup

Source:
    "Cooking Light, October 1997, p.136"
    Copyright:
    "? Cooking Light"
    Yield:
    "5 cups"
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    I initially thought about doing some lump crab meat on top (I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama so there is plenty of fresh seafood available)... however, I haven't been out of the house much lately (except running up to Walmart to grab a few things or up to my kids' schools)... lol

I could not bring myself to buy lump crab meat in some sort of briny liquidy solution when I can go across town and get it fresh... <sigh>... I may save that idea for another day.

I do have shrimp, tilapia, chicken breast... I was thinking of possibly doing a grilled shrimp skewer and maybe a green salad? I may attempt to make a homemade warm vinaigrette... :)
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    I've got nothing for you...lol. I just wanted to say, "You go girl!" 5 kids and you're a weight losing machine!!! Very inspiring:)

Thank you! It has been and continues to be a wild rollarcoaster ride! I've upped my calories for the last few days and think I'm dropping back tomorrow... I'm still trying to find that magical mix that works for me so I can get these last 8 pounds off!
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    Does this sound like it would pair well? I have all of these ingredients already so it would be easy to make.

Grilled Curried Shrimp with Cranberry Chutney

* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
    * One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
    * 2 teaspoons curry powder
    * 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    * Salt and black pepper
    * 12 large shrimp (about 1/2 pound), peeled and deveined
    * 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
    * 3 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
    * 1 cup Cranberry Sauce

Swap it
    Use bite-size pieces of chicken instead of the shrimp.
    Directions:

1. In a small skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and crushed red pepper; season with salt and black pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer half the garlic-spice mixture to a medium bowl, leaving the remaining mixture in the skillet.

2. Add the shrimp, cilantro, 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the mixture in the bowl. Season with salt and black pepper and toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

3. In the skillet with the remaining garlic-spice mixture, add the cranberry sauce and the remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar and cook over low heat, stirring, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper and transfer the cranberry chutney to a serving bowl.

4. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the shrimp until opaque and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Serve with the chutney.
  • rayfromtx
    rayfromtx Posts: 111
    Options
    I hid some soy free vege based protein powder in my butternut squash soup. I was fine with it. Wife was not. I put it in my bowl, not in her soup.