The Night Time Munchies

Options
I can go all day and stick to my guns when it comes to eating healthier. I work during the day so it's pretty easy to just eat what I take to work with me. I allow some sort of sugar free snack or fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth. I go to the gym after work and eat dinner when I get home. Every night around 10 PM the cravings kick into high gear and I cannot control my need to eat. Sweets, chips, nuts, fruits, protein... I want it all! I've tried chewing gum in all sorts of flavours and it has helped some nights but it also gives me a terribly sore jaw. Does anyone else find night time snacking to be an issue or do you have any tips and tricks to overcoming the cravings? Thanks!

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    I also deal with the night time munchies. I have learned to save 200 cals for the evening. I usually eat popcorn, rice cakes, skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, chai tea, apple with peanut butter, or special k crisp bars. This has really helped me, instead of trying not to eat it is easier for me to plan it into my eating plan
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I just finished having some oatmeal. For me I have to make better decisions when I do eat later in the evening.
  • anabelle2mince
    Options
    night time is when I am the hungriest so I usually save about 300 calories for about 9 or 10pm. I find what helps control cravings, and even hunger period, is Vega. Its this vegan powder that I mix with almond milk and it has a ton of protein and fiber in it, thus keeping the hunger at bay.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    BIG problem for me. My strategies:
    -hot tea (herbal, non-caffeinated)
    -keep one cup of high-fiber, high-protein cereal nearby at all times. Any time you get a craving, take a bit of cereal and eat it painstakingly slowly (almost like eating a lollipop)
    -keep hands busy at down-time (ex: play solitaire while watching TV)
    -keep a water bottle nearby to limit your reasons for going to the kitchen
    -brush your teeth after dinner
    -when you get the cravings, stretch out. Side stretches, spine rotations, neck rolling, forward bend, etc. Somehow this helps me... possibly by making me aware of my whole body, not just the stomach.
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    Ha, I am having this issue right now, but I am refusing to step foot in my kitchen.
    Normally I would put myself to bed if the night time craving hit, then I realized it is controling me and I can't go to bed everytime I get into a munchies mood.

I buy myself a bag of carmel flavored tootsie pops they are 60 calories but I can suck on it for up to 30 mins. It isn't so sweet and flavorful that I feel the need to bite down and devour it.
  • SLV9
    SLV9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions!! I'm going to make it :-)
  • solid09
    solid09 Posts: 12
    Options
    I've made it a rule of thumb not to eat after 9pm at the latest, but if your having those cravings get ride of the chips, cookies, and whatever junk food you have in the house. Stock your fridge with celery, apples, almonds, or other healthy snacks.
  • shadyman
    Options
    I know ,, that what is going on with me. except I will now anthing healthy, does not matter if it is here I will eat it at night, than stick to my guns durning the day!!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, try saving a few cals for an evening snack, but make it healthy. And you can try having dinner a little later, and make sure it has plenty of good protein and good carbs.

Some good evening snacks for me:
    Lowfat cottage cheese
    Almonds
    Popcorn
    Dark chocolate (if I MUST have some, a very small amount of dark chocolate satisfies the craving and is much "healthier" than milk chocolate)
    fruit

Good luck!
  • susu5
    susu5 Posts: 122
    Options
    I eat raisin bran with 1% or skim milk even if it is at 9pm. I think I even sleep better!!
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I can go all day and stick to my guns when it comes to eating healthier. I work during the day so it's pretty easy to just eat what I take to work with me. I allow some sort of sugar free snack or fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth. I go to the gym after work and eat dinner when I get home. Every night around 10 PM the cravings kick into high gear and I cannot control my need to eat. Sweets, chips, nuts, fruits, protein... I want it all! I've tried chewing gum in all sorts of flavours and it has helped some nights but it also gives me a terribly sore jaw. Does anyone else find night time snacking to be an issue or do you have any tips and tricks to overcoming the cravings? Thanks!

Paint your nails. The smell + action will distract you, and then they are wet so you can't go rummaging through the cupboard