anyone go Power Walking ?

peteloafer
peteloafer Posts: 28 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
done very little exercise for 10 years (used to jog regularly) through achey hip and knees and wondered if anyone goes Power Walking.

Sounds less demanding on joints etc although the "walk" does look a bit odd and I'd probably feel self-conscious
(as I did jogging LOL)

any comments would be appreciated

Pete

Replies

• You could always power walk on a treadmill. :D That's what my dad has done. He power walks an hour a day, and has dropped nearly 30 pounds by doing that and watching what he eats. He does it every morning too.

He does look pretty funny doing, but it's effective. And he is always sweaty too. xD
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Pete,
    I started out running in May of 2010 & quickly ended up with some strange ailment or another - mainly muscle problems in my low back & hip areas -after a few months. I don't know what happened but my body surely protested the running. So, I began power walking to dvds (Leslie Sansone & Debbie Rocker, mostly) in my livingroom. I found this to be a nice alternative - although it's been difficult to tame my desire to run.

I do some walking outside when it's nice. This weekend will be my first 5K, so I'm really excited about it.

Who cares what fat, lazy people think about you looking a little funny power walking! I used to be one of those fat, lazy people & I don't think I've ever seen someone walking or running, that I thought anything bad about! Our minds tell us people are watching us trying to walk or run, when those people have their own stuff to worry about & most likely don't give a hoot that we look a little funny doing something good for ourselves!

Come on, do something good for your body! :wink: Good luck!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    I do faster walking outside, >4mph, and try to get my arms moving a lot more. Not quite speed walking, but it helps.
    I'll generally mix it up with normal fast walking around the 3.5mph mark.

I too, had trouble with back/joints starting running last summer, so this works well for me, plus some elliptical cross training stuff in the gym.

I love being outside, so now winter is receding, I'll be doing more outside!
  • peteloafer
    peteloafer Posts: 28 Member
    thanks for your reply

Pete
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    I just started doing urban hiking. It's like power walking but with trekking poles. It's pretty tough - the poles force you to pump you'd arms as you walk. I find with the poles I'm also able to maintain a higher speed. I'd highly recommend them if you want to power walk.

You'll have to get used to people stopping you and asking what they are :)
This discussion has been closed.