Post Surgery Exercise

mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I found out yesterday that I'm needing to meet with a surgeon to schedule a hysterectomy. I'm trying to decide if this is something I really want to do, mainly because I'm in the best shape of my life and don't want to lose it, I've worked so hard for it. The last time I was in great shape, I get in a horrible car accident, now this.

So my questions are, what do I need to do pre-surgery, to make certain that I'm good to go - I'm currently doing P90X, and once weather breaks, I wanted to get back to running outdoors 4 days a week. I really want to run a 1/2 marathon in April, and I have a 12K planned in May - are these still going to be doable?

It looks like I will be a good candidate for the less evasive procedure and no cuts. I know I can't do anything without a dr release and have enough sense to not - but I read somewhere that you start to lose your fitness level within 3 weeks of not maintaining it. I don't have the availability of a pool, so that low impact option is out, the nearest indoor pool is 300 miles away.

I'm honestly most stressed about gaining weight and losing ground on my fitness level.

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    if there is no cutting involved your recovery will be quite quick. With a c-section cut from hip to hip they want you up and walking ASAP and you can walk for exercise within a week, trust me that is painful enough. I wouldnt' get in a pool with any type of open wound.

If you don't think you need a hysterectomy, I would go for a second opinion. too many doctors and patients jump on that band wagon, and If you aren't having problems then why get it now? unless they are forseeing issues.
    Good luck with your choice.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Thanks. Unfortunately, I've been having problems for years, but chose to ignore them. Am wondering if I would be better off continuing to ignore them :) I'm really anti-surgery/anti-traditional medicine so the whole thought of any procedure unnerves me. I just keep telling myself, it could be worse so why do it. I really just am worried I'm going to lose ground.
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Have you tried the uterine ablation? Where they use the heated balloon to burn the inside of the uterus? I don't know what kinds of problems you have been having, but this procedure kept me from having to have a hysterectomy 10 years ago. I was down for 1 day only! Same day surgery and a day of rest...then back to my normal routine!
This discussion has been closed.