OMG!! I'm addicted !!! To this site - not the food!

Options
Hi guys

I'm new here today, and I LOVE this site and all the tools it has on here.

What a motivation tool this will be and hopefully I'll be able to help motivate others and you guys can pick me up when a wheel has fallen off the wagon...

Question? - Does anyone out there know how many calories are burnt off doing a 'Body Pump' Weights Class???

Thx
:-)

Replies

• heathertinsley
    heathertinsley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I looked it up for you and they are saying anywhere from 400-600 depending on the intensity!! Hope this helps:smile:
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • bethsmith2001
    Options
    Heay thanks Heather.

Guess I should be conservative when I book it on the diary tho :smile:
  • hmlayman
    Options
    Just like any other exercise it's different for every single different persondepending on a lot of things like intensity of the exercise, the work you put into it, how much you weigh etc. No one will know besides a heart rate monitor :flowerforyou: Hope that helps
  • hmlayman
    Options
    Oh and mfp generally over estimates heavily! It's really a failed system in that sense because there is no possible way they could tell for sure
  • bethsmith2001
    Options
    Oh never thought about a heart rate monitor... Oh do they come in watches rather than something strapped around my middle?
  • bethsmith2001
    Options
    Over estimates? in the calories of food or of calories burnt? Monitor could be the solution :-) x
  • hmlayman
    Options
    They have both monitors but the chest strap is what I suggest, it's more accurate. Even with the chest strap and watch (as they usually come together) you have to question the caloric burn but you'll work that out. What I said was that it over estimates for calories burned during exercises. And as for food, you should always look at labels if you have them because there are a MILLION times I've logged something off here, went back and looked and seen it ACTUALLY had less/more sodium/calories/sugar/fat etc.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Oh never thought about a heart rate monitor... Oh do they come in watches rather than something strapped around my middle?

They do, but the ones with the chest strap tend to be more reliable. It will still have a watch, but the signal comes from the chest strap. U can search topics on the forum and find lots of discussions about monitors. Almost without fail, Polar is the brand most prefer (including myself). Good luck!
  • bethsmith2001
    Options
    Cool Thanx for all the tips on heart rate monitors!! I'm looking at the Polar ones... can you hook them up to computers to download the data?

• RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

According to this site i can burn off around 450 cals at Body Pump. I sincerely hope that's true! haha!!

I have also just started a new topic in Fitness and Exercise about HR monitors as i am looking into getting one too!
  • bethsmith2001
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

According to this site i can burn off around 450 cals at Body Pump. I sincerely hope that's true! haha!!

I have also just started a new topic in Fitness and Exercise about HR monitors as i am looking into getting one too!
  • bethsmith2001
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

Right I'm off to your post for some good advice!
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Cool Thanx for all the tips on heart rate monitors!! I'm looking at the Polar ones... can you hook them up to computers to download the data?

Yes you can, hubby got me a Polar FT60 for my birthday and I absolutely love it. The watch is quite pretty for an HRM and not too chunky. It came with a Flow Link which plugs into the usb port of my pc all I have to do when I get home from the gym is put my watch face down on the Flow Link and it updates straight to my Polar online training diary. I wore it last week to Body Pump, it was my first ever session and I used light weights and did not really push myself it clocked up 217 calories for me 51% of which it says came from burning fat.
  • JeanMargaret
    Options
    Hi Beth.

I like it a lot, too. I'm so glad you're here. Use it. It works!

*smiles*

Jean
  • bethsmith2001
    Options
    thanks Jean... We'll keep each other going!!! Through thick and thin... oh that's just reminded me of custard. Bad Girl!!!! LOL
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • bethsmith2001
    Options
    Hi Nicky

Thanks for the info on the Polar HRM... so that's me now sold on the idea of a HRM now then...... which model do I get! ? ha haa....
    I really like the Body Pump classes.. I've notice loads of toning already... just really need to loose the flab hiding it!!!
    :laugh: