Calories WHILE distance running

CarterGrt
CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I just started training for a half marathon. So far so good. This Saturday is our 5-mile run. I know that at some point, it is recommended that you start consuming calories DURING the run for optimal results. I bought some GU and a cubed bar product to try out.

Two Questions:
1) The packages tend to say one per 45-60 minutes of running. Does this sound right to those of you that run?
2) Are there any other products that are good for this other than GU? What do you eat?

Thanks, Carter

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Gummy Bears work great for me. A lot of that stuff just doesn't taste very good, and I don't care for most of the GUs. I do like "Honey Stingers" Brand of GU/Chews and "Sharkies" Chews though. However, I usually stick w/gummy bears because of the price.

You might not need them yet. Try to do your initial 5 mile run without anything. I didn't start using them until I was doing 6 miles or more. I still carry them w/me for runs of 6 or more miles, but I usually don't use them unless I am doing 8+ miles.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    A lot of that is just for quick energy. While running the first thing your body does is burn up the carbs for quick energy.

For a 5 mile I dont know if it is needed though, I run a 10k about 3-4 times a week and do not eat until directly after I am done with cool down. I do drink lots of water during though! No dehydration xD
  • hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    I agree, for a 5 mile run, you really shouldn't need to eat anything during the run....I save eating during runs for anything in the 8-9 mile and up......I also do the gummy bears and jelly beans, you get the same effect as all the GU stuff, at just a fraction of the cost!!! Whatever you do, know that you will have to experiment a LOT before you find the right match that won't send you running to the potty with tummy-issues!!! I usually start a long run with a banana and 1 slice of peanut butter toast at home about 20 minutes before the run, then eat when I get back home (even for my half marathons) I don;t like to eat and run, my coordination is awful and I swear I feel like I'm gonna choke :-) LOL!!!!
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    If you have never run 5 mi. before, it seems like quite a distance, however I think those products were designed more for marathon type running (26.2 mi.) If you run a 12 min. mile, you will be done in an hour, so you really don't need that stuff. Carry a bottle of water with you, and some Powerade or Gatorade for quick energy during the run, then have something like a granola bar after. Also, those GU things taste terrible! I tried one during a marathon and was nauseated for a good hour after. :sick:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Typically, the body has enough glycogen for approx. 90 mins of intense exercise, meaning in your zone 3-4 where you're burning near 100% sugar (instead of a 50/50 fat/sugar at lower intensities) so if that 5 mile run is your long run, low intensity, you definitely don't need any extra calories. When you get into your longer runs later in your training, then start using whatever nutrition you plan on using race day to make sure it agrees with your system. Never race with something you didn't try, and that applies for everything including new equipment.

For the half marathon race itself, it depends on what your goal finish time is. If it's 2 hrs, then I would bring 2 gels. Take the first 45 mins into the race, and the 2nd 45 mins later. Or you can live off whatever the aid stations will have like gatorade.

BTW, the gels are just sports drinks without the added water, and it requires you to wash them down with water for best effectiveness.
This discussion has been closed.