Is it worth getting a Heart Rate Monitor?

2»

Replies

• I looked at the ones you mentioned. They were all really expensive and had GPS, which I don't need. Are there others that use your actual heart rate to calculate your calories that are more moderately priced and don't have GPS?
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    I looked at the ones you mentioned. They were all really expensive and had GPS, which I don't need. Are there others that use your actual heart rate to calculate your calories that are more moderately priced and don't have GPS?

Not that I'm aware of, but I'll be watching this post in case someone else knows of one that does. Over Christmas, Walmart had a 24 hour special on the Garmin one for $99. I bought several and gave them as Christmas gifts -- one to my daughter and others to my clients that work their tails off!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    I got one for Xmas, and I LOVE it! The biggest thing I've noticed, is how "off" the monitors in the gym are. I think those are calculate for an avg. 150 lb man, but they always overestimate my calories burned, by quite a bit. For ex, in spin class, the bike monitor will say that I've burned about 500 calories, when really, it's closer to 350. That's quite a difference, esp. if you're using that info to increase your caloric intake.
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    I looked at the ones you mentioned. They were all really expensive and had GPS, which I don't need. Are there others that use your actual heart rate to calculate your calories that are more moderately priced and don't have GPS?

I wondered the same thing. I would love to get one but only need one to check my heart rate and tell me how many calories I burned.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    For the ones with GPS do they just track where you go or can you download maps into it? Say if you are hiking and want to make sure you are staying on the correct trail, that sort of thing. My bf has something like that on his phone but of course it doesn't track the fitness aspect of it.
This discussion has been closed.